Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to query Portfolio progress info like Completed and Remaining from Jira/JQL?

Matthieu B. August 23, 2019

When hovering progress bars for initiatives or Epics in Portfolio for Jira Cloud a note appears that displays Completed Story Points and Remaining Story Points.

I would like to be able to export these fields from Jira Cloud (or Scriptrunner Cloud) either via the Jira Cloud for Sheets, a REST API or display them in a Jira filter which I can export in Google Sheet or Excel.

Is this possible at all?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Prince N
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2019

Hi @Matthieu B. 

Answering your question here as well,  Jira Portfolio doesn't currently expose API where its Data can be accessed Programmatically. On the other side, using the Jira Cloud REST API would only return already committed data. However scenario data cannot be accessed via API at the moment.

Secondly in future, there might be plans for a Portfolio Specific API but nothing currently on a short term plan backlog. Furthermore about the Jira Cloud add-on for Google Sheets, due to the constraint from Portfolio not having an exposed API there wouldn't be any practical way for the Add-on to be able to extract Portfolio specific scenarios but on a longer term it depends on such demands and technicalities involved in getting such feasible, so we're not able to say as of now.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers,

Prince.

0 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2019

Hi Matthieu,

Thank you for your question. 

I can confirm that it is not possible to generate an export of these fields to a spreadsheet using ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud,due to the fact that Atlassian do not provide a rest API to generate an export file inside of Jira Cloud and that ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud can only use the rest API's which Atlassian Provides.

I can confirm that you can see further details on the differences between ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud and ScriptRunner Jira Server for your reference inside of the documentation page located here.

If this response has answered your question can you please mark it as accepted so that other users can see it is correct when searching for similar answers.

Regards,

Kristian

Matthieu B. August 27, 2019

Thank you @Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_ , after re-reading my question your reply probably answers 99% of what I wrote, but only 80% of what I had in mind - and I believe you speak for Adaptavist (ScriptRunner) not for Portfolio/Atlassian

So before closing this question, could you also help with the following or help to get a Portfolio community leader involved (assuming I posted this question in the Portfolio section of the Atlassian community correctly)?

1. Is the ad-hoc / one-off export function the only way to get this data out of Portfolio e.g. no other Portfolio specific API is currently available?
  2. Is there any plan/discussions at Atlassian to either make a bespoke Portfolio API accessible OR to extend the (amazing) Jira Cloud for Sheet add-on so we can query individual fields from Google Sheets without having to manually export and re-import a whole Portfolio dataset?

Many thanks for the extra info...

Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2019

Hi Mattheiu,

You are correct, my response is based on the Atlassian Cloud Rest API's and ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud.

I am unable to say if Jira Portfolio contains any built in functionality to achieve your requirement as I am not familiar with how Jira Portfolio works myself.

I would advise asking this question to Atlassian directly at https://getsupport.atlassian.com in order to ask them directly if Jira Portfolio can achieve your requirements.

Regards,

Kristian

Matthieu B. August 27, 2019

Support ticket created: JST-505584.

Will post answer here unless Atlassian Support updates this thread directly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events