Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert a Hierarchy level between Epics and Standard issue types like Stories and Tasks

rati_sud November 25, 2020

Is it possible to insert a hierarchy level called Feature in between Epics and other standard issue types like Stories and Tasks? Looking for a way to get the story/task linked to a Feature and the Feature linked to an Epic. Is it possible to modify the Hierarchy configuration in Advanced Roadmaps to do this? Or is there another plug in in the Atlassian Marketplace that can achieve the above?

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2020

@rati_sud Forgot to mention that we are on Jira DC/AR on-prems env.

Take a look at this posting for your reference - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Advanced-roadmap-hierarchy-Levels/qaq-p/1499080

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2020

@rati_sud -

Based on my knowledge and experiences, you cannot create a hierarchy to insert "Feature" between the out of the box EPIC/Story.  You can use AR hierarchy configuration to create parent level setup from EPIC and upward.

In Jira, any standard issue types can roll up to EPIC by default.  However to have a Story to rollup to another new standard issue type (i.e. "Feature") is not possible.  You can only link Story to your new issue type using issue links.  Lastly, each standard issue type (including EPIC) can have "sub-task".  

Lastly, I would only add "Parent Link" field to EPIC issue type, so user can roll up the EPIC to it's parent (i.e. Initiative) without accessing the AR plan.  This field should not be exposed to other out of the box issue types (i.e. Story).

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSD Functional Lead and Admin Team, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

You can do this in Advanced Roadmaps if you go to Plans -> Settings -> Advanced Roadmaps Hierarchy Configuration.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/configuring-hierarchy-levels-998650959.html 

The link to the article does not answer my specific question on how to insert a hierarchy level between Epic and Story. It just explains on how to insert levels in Advance Roadmaps in Jira which I am aware of and can do successfully.

What I am trying to do is to insert a hierarchy level between Epic and Story which I am not able to do successfully. Any guidance in answering that would be most helpful.

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

Add the "Parent Link" field to the screen for the issue types that you want to add in between Epic and Story - for example if your Advanced Roadmap hierarchy is Epic -> Feature -> Story, then add the Parent Link field to the Feature screen.  Once you do that you can add the Parent Link from the Feature to the Epic if the issues have already been created.

Configuring the Advanced Roadmaps Hierarchy Configuration to Epic-> Feature->Story is what I am trying to do. Jira Software and Advance Roadmaps is not letting me insert a hierarchy level between Epic and Story which is what I am struggling with.

The Parent Link field has already been added to the relevant issue type screens.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events