Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Portfolio for Jira Cloud, why don't we see a roadmap when we select Story level?

Cynthia Lee June 3, 2019

When we select stories in portfolio, we don't get a roadmap. Also, is there a way to have the stories that have been added to an Epic to show below the epic in the Scope?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2019

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for reaching out, and a little clarification is needed to make sure we are on the same page.   I understand the behavior you are seeing is related to issues missing at the story level from the timeline, but when you are selecting the story hierarchy are you getting an explicit page load error of some kind, OR is the scope visible with issues and then in the Timeline empty noting "There are no issues in the current result set." at the top OR are there no issues present in the scope at all?

For the above scenarios I outlined some possibilities below, let me know if any of this lines up or if you are seeing something else entirely:

First off, If there is an error occuring I will need some additional context on the failure, grab a screenshot of any on screen error text occuring or just the page load behavior you are seeing.  Also, open the browsers developer console and grab a screenshot of any additional errors that may be present in the javascript console log, so I can take a closer look.

Next, if there are not explicit errors then it's more than likely that the issues do not have a valid time based value that can be scheduled in the plan.   If you're showing stories in the scope but the timeline is only displaying "There are no issues in the current result set." this means that the issues do not have a value present that is capable of tracking a projected outcome on the timeline per the algorithm, basically there are no items that have any estimate on a time based metric to give the issue any weight.  Values such as story point or time estimate, a release with a fixed release date, or assigned to a sprint with a defined date.  See the "Scheduling behavior" Documentation for specifics on the values used to calculate out the projected timeline.

But as an example of where this can happen is if you set a release on your epic with a fixed release date BUT no points or release is set on the stories in that Epic like this:

Epic level has a release so it shows up in the timeline schedule:

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 11.20.34 AM.png

But at the Story Level no release or story points present so the schedule is empty:

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 11.20.44 AM.png

You can either add in an estimate, default values, or target dates, as covered in these articles:

If there are No Issues present at all at the story level I would suspect it would be more in line with a filter excluding issues of a certain type, or issues have been excluded, or you are beyond the hard set limit in a plan for issue count.

For the issue count limits, there is an upper limit of 100 Project and 5000 open issues per plan with a limit of only 2000 issues total that can be rendered to the hierarchies at any time due to performance restriction. If you have more than 2K issues in total across all hierarchies the lower hierarchies are disabled and will not render, See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOCLOUD-1671 for more details

If its not the limit enforcement, then check out the following post that gives a really good breakdown on other reasons that would block an issue from displaying:

Regards,
Earl

Cynthia Lee June 4, 2019

Thanks, Earl. I actually cannot see issue on the timeline or in the scope. Let me review the information you referenced and see if any of these are my problem. It is not a error.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2019

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for the update, and if nothing is in the Scope or Timeline at the story level that narrows it down to most likely one of the items noted on that previous post I mentioned above:

But again check out the items in that list and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Earl

Cynthia Lee June 6, 2019

This post helped. Thanks

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2019

Hi Cynthia,

Awesome to hear, and thanks for the confirmation.

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events