Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to track estimated end date vs due date?

Daniele Tessaro January 9, 2023

Hello, for my project I'm using an Initiative/Epic/Story/Subtask type of hierarchy.

We don't care for sprints. We basically look at the Plan daily and try to understand how things are progressing toward the active stories.

Stories have a due date, that are somehow fixed in stone (when we want things to be delivered). And we keep estimates up to date daily, for each subtask, which rollup to stories. Stories also have an actual start date, that I'm ok manually setting in the story when we start working on it.  

I would like to do something that is super simple and obvious, but it does not look like it is easily doable. 

When I look at the plan every day I would like to see on the timeline when is a story projected to end based on the current estimate (Today + current estimate), and I would like to also see how the projected end date compares to the due date. Are we on track or not?

Basically I would like to see a bar that goes from Start Date to (Time.now + estimated). And within that bar a mark for the due date. Is it that weird?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2023

Hi @Daniele Tessaro

hoping to have understood you requirement well I am wondering if the following could be of help:

If I understand it correctly you set a Due Date of, let us say, 01.02.2023 but you have another calculation like, Time.now (16.01.2023) + Estimate (which could be  +14 days = 30.01.2023) - on the screen you'd then like to see both dates, 30.01.2023 AND 01.02.2023.

I cannot say right now if it works using the article above - would you mind testing it?

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniele Tessaro January 17, 2023

Thanks @Daniel Ebers , the thing is I don't have a field with the computed "expected end date". I guess I could setup some automation to automatically compute that field, although it would be tricky.

But even then, that solves half of my problem, in that I would like to see this expected end date in the gant chart, like some kind of marker, so I could easily tell when the expected end date is after the due date.

I guess what I don't understand is that this use case seems so obvious that I'm surprised there's nothing ready out of the box to do it. SO it must be me doing something weird?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2023

I found out, the "End Date" or "Due Date" can be set by auto-scheduling in Advanced Roadmaps (it depends which field you are using) and it is indeed referring to the estimations.

For marking an expected end date you could insert a "Release", this signalizes the date by a green line then, like so:

grafik.png

Probably this article is also helpful:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Milestone-Markers-for-Jira-Advanced-Roadmaps/qaq-p/1402350

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events