Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sync from JIRA to Portfolio?

Steven Haws June 7, 2017

When creating new issues in a Jira project, I have noticed that when I create tasks and make assignments on the scrum board, they don't sync back to the plan.

I have looked at "https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/How-to-sync-from-JIRA-to-Portfolio/qaq-p/47384" where it says there is a "Plan > Configure > Synchronization" where this can be fixed but can't find this in the menu.

It was also suggested to use "plan > Update from date" in the document "https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/importing-syncing-and-updating-715263223.html#Importing,syncingandupdating-DochangesinJIRAPortfoliodirectlyimpactmyJIRAproject?" but this also seems to be missing from my screen.

How can I make sure that changes in the project get reflected on the plan?

2 answers

1 vote
Kevin Gilchrist February 2, 2018

Our live plan doe snot seem to sync Fix Version, the set of issues in a release is different, when we compare the Release Report in Portfolio the Release version report in a project.

0 votes
Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2017

Hey Steven,

The community page and the documentation page you've reference both direct to instructions regarding our older Classic plans.

It sounds like you're using our more recent (and much improved) live plans. In live plans new issues or changes to issue data will automatically be brought into your plan upon refresh/calculate. The issue just needs to be in whatever 'issue sources' you've setup for your plan.

Please let me know if you have any questions or still have issues with this.
If you're trying to sync a particular field (i.e assignee) please also clarify.

Cheers,

Steven Haws June 9, 2017

Rhys,

Thank you for the response. The version difference makes sense. There seems to be a sporatic discrepency still when I change the assignee on the scrum board backlog and then go to the planning screen where the change does not transfer over. I have yet to find a pattern to when it happens, but I will keep watching.

Anthony Tippett August 23, 2017

I too have changed the assigning on a Jira ticket and it doesn't show up changed within the portfolio.  I click the "Calculate" button to resync. Is this suppose to resync all details?

Matthew Vigg February 7, 2018

We're just trialing this (in cloud) and I can assign a user in a Portfolio plan and commit the change which does update Jira, but if I assign in Jira nothing seems to update the Portfolio plan. I've tried refreshing and calculating but neither works.

The Portfolio documentation in various places talks about a "Plan > Update linked Issues" (for example here under Syncing with Jira: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/importing-syncing-and-updating-715263223.html) but I can't find that option?

Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2018

Hi @Matthew Vigg,

The documentation you are linking is for a deprecated plan type in Portfolio for Jira Server. This does not exist anymore which explains why you would not be able to find this option.

I'd suggest reading this part of the documentation on the differences between the assignee field and the team member field in Portfolio: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/map-an-issue-assignee-to-a-team-member-868977839.html

Cheers,

Thomas

Matthew Vigg February 8, 2018

Thanks @Thomas

That document allowed me to fix the issue, my "Issue assignee import level" was set to sub-task and I needed to change it to story. This is slightly confusing in that I am currently testing with Kanban projects so not using stories, perhaps it might help to change the option to "Story/Task".

Researching issues and documentation is often quite hard on Atlassian products because of the various versions, I should have spotted this was on server though and I accept it's a difficult problem to solve with fast changing products. That said you say the linked approach is now deprecated but it shows as being applicable to the current version of Portfolio server (2.11) and there's no mention of it being deprecated.

I guess my question now is - if we start using Portfolio it will be a server version - are the things I'm learning/testing now going to be applicable to server or are there significant gaps between the current cloud/server editions?

Thomas
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2018

There are some differences between Cloud and Server with a few more features targeted to our enterprise customers available in Server which shouldn't make anything you learnt in Cloud invalid:

• Classic plans are no longer available in cloud but still available (although in a deprecated state) in Server
  • Programs - The program feature allows you to have an high level view of a group of plan
  • JQL functions - Portfolio JQL functions are available in Portfolio Server
Matthew Vigg February 9, 2018

Thanks, programs look useful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events