• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to automatically close all linked issues when parent issue closed?

Is there a way to Close Epics when all child issues are marked done/closed? Right now I noticed we have to change each Epic manually which is very time consuming. 

Thanks,

Sunitha

3 answers

You can setup a post function on the transition to close an epic when all linked issues are closed. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-postfunctions 

Here's a screen cap of it configured.   You'll have to figure it on all of your workflows.  2019-06-05_9-36-42.png

0 votes
Nir Haimov Community Leader Sep 06, 2018

Hi,

If you have scriptrunner and you know groovy, you can write a code that will do it for you.

Thanks for your feedback Nir. I am looking for a way to do this without any additional add-on. We don't have ScriptRunner 

Nir Haimov Community Leader Sep 06, 2018

Hi @Sunitha

Unfortunately, there is no way to achieve this natively in Jira without plugin.

Hi, like Nir suggests, you can use ScriptRunner. With Scriptrunner you can create a scripted post function in the workflow for Stories which checks if it is the last unresolved child issue and closes the Epic if true. 

However, bear in mind that users not always want to have the epic closed automatically. A better solution would be to present the user with a screen that asks the user if the epic can now be closed. 

Hi Rik, Appreciate your response. As I mentioned in my comment to Nir, I am looking for a way to do this without add-on. I'm aware this can be done using ScriptRunner.

I tried Automation Lite but there is a limitation to apply an automation rule to all users in a project and moreover it is working at story level, but not at Epic level

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

3 short videos to help you get started with Advanced Roadmaps

Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...

6,566 views 25 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you