Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to associate an Epic to an Initiative

Brian Tenpenny April 3, 2018

I got some excellent help in a previous thread about how to create Initiatives:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Can-t-get-the-Initiative-Item-Type-working/qaq-p/759918

However, I can't seem to make the next step, which would be to be able to associate an Epic TO an initiative. I feel like there may be a field I need to enable or something along those lines, but I'm not sure where/how do do so.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Moga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2018

Hi Brian,

You can edit the Parent Link field of the Epic issue to the Initiative issue key. This will associate the Epic with the Initiative. 

If you are unable to do this, please provide screenshot which might help to understand.

Best Regards, 
Mogavenasan

Cuong Pham August 22, 2018

Do I need to have portfolio license to do this? I'm getting an error

Moga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2018

The context in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Can-t-get-the-Initiative-Item-Type-working/qaq-p/759918 which was mentioned above is in regards of JIRA Portfolio. In order to use JIRA Portfolio functionalities, you will need a Portfolio license.

Cheers,
Mogavenasan

Karine Manoukian November 26, 2018

Can I link my epics to an Inititive (Parent link field on Issue edit page) or you can do it only if you have Portfolio license? In other words, is Epic the highest level in Jira hierarchy if you don't have Portfolio license? 

Like # people like this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 5, 2019

Hi Karine,

This question was mis-labeled as being Jira Core. But the original question was about how to setup the hierarchy in regards to Jira Portfolio. In Portfolio, you can actually configure what the hierarchy should be for your environment. Atlassian recommends a top to bottom of Initiative, Epic, Story, subtask. But you can set this in Portfolio the way you want to with a different order or even additional levels.

If you do not have Portfolio, then yes, Epic is the highest level issue available in Jira Software. You can't use Epics at this time without Software, (sorry Jira Core users).

Regards,
Andy

Dinesh Ayyappan September 19, 2019

just that Atlassian knows, in my org. we dont need portfolio tool BUT we do badly need to group epics with an initiative. Making us buy the portfolio tool just for getting the hierarchy set does not sound logical/ right for the small organization like us.

Like # people like this
Dinesh Ayyappan February 17, 2020

update from my last comment:

we still badly in need of this - we came up with some workarounds which is NOT A COOL process - Jira was supposed to make the life easier for PMO departments but makes it complex.

Our Org is not receiving Jira tool well. 

Like # people like this
Mary Kay Soto June 25, 2020

I've been reading through various JIRA documents trying to figure out how to manage Cross-Project work. We need a way to group EPICS togehter because JIRA has the limitation of only showing the EPIC on the Agile board, if is assigned to a specific development team (we have REP, PROP, Integrate, etc.). I was really exicited to read about the use of Initatives and then, after a couple hours of reading, stumbled on this  post that says you have to have Portflio subscription in order to use this. Is this really the only way to do this?  

Thanks 
Mary Kay

Like # people like this
Randy Anger December 16, 2020

We should not need to buy another add-on from Atlassian to group epics together in an Atlassian project.  

Like # people like this
Antonia Natova April 29, 2022

i have same issue - i have created initiative but cannot link the epics to it. when i click on Parent >> choose option > the initiative is not available Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 13.38.19.png

2 votes
Geethanjali D January 12, 2021

We just upgraded to Free Premium Trial. Parent Link field has to be added manually to your schema and then to screen layout.

2 votes
Robert_Kirkman December 6, 2019

We have Portfolio and I do not see a Parent link option. 

olly.nelson January 22, 2020

Same here.  I can't see any way of adding a child Epic to an Initiative whether in Jira or Portfolio

Like # people like this
Liz Huff February 27, 2020

Same here! It took me about 10 different pages of Jira documentation PLUS the $400 Portfolio training, more than 15 hours of research and now I am stuck AGAIN! Someone please help asap. I needed this done 2 weeks ago. 

Like # people like this
Nic February 28, 2020
  • In general, a parent link exists when Portfolio is in place, however, the field isn't automatically added to the screens where you might want to see it.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/showing-portfolio-custom-fields-in-jira-software-856708725.html

The process is similar for server.

Like # people like this
0 votes
USHUROVA Nigara ushuroni
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2024

I want to group epics from different product teams together under one Initiative without disturbing the way of working of each product team. But it looks that Jira doesn't allow this for Team-Managed projects. So, it looks that the 'add Initiative' feature in the epic is only available for Company-Managed projects.

I can't ask each product team now to change their project (and all their work) just so that I can link it to my Initiative. This seems like a giant overhead.

Isn't there a way to be able to link epics (from a Team-Managed project) to an Initiative?

And also, very weird why you have to start from the epic to link to an Initiative. Instead of starting within an Initiative. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events