Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make an Epic a child of a new issue type?

Georgia Harlow September 23, 2020

We just purchased the premium jira so we could use advanced roadmaps.  I created a new issue type "Initiative" but can't figure out how to link Epics as children under the new type so that they will display in the plans.  Thanks in advance for your help!

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2020
0 votes
Answer accepted
Sramanth Pandeti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2020

Hi @Georgia Harlow Weclome to the Atlassian Community!

You can link Epics to your initiatives using the "parent link" field. You need to configure the field on your screens if it is not already available. 

Thanks!  I'll try that.

This solved my issue!  I had followed the training but this step was missing!

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2020

@Georgia Harlow - Exposing the "Parent Link" field in your issue screen in Jira is not the recommended way to associated your EPICs to Initiatives as one will need to know exactly the Initiative issue key to use.  This is a work-around.

The proper way to conduct the association is via the Plan.

If you choose to conduct it in the Jira project issue screens, you will need to create a separate screen scheme for EPIC issue type only, because if it is applied to screen schemes for other non-EPIC issue types, then it will give you problems downstream.

Best, Joseph

Like Joanna Nelson likes this

I went to the plan and couldn't find a way to add the Epic as a child.  I could create a new one but not associate an existing.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2020

@Georgia Harlow ; @Sramanth Pandeti - Here at our company, we use both exposing the Parent column in the plan + Mr. Pandeti's suggestions.

The reason why we use both methods was because for some users that they can remain in Jira without the need to access the AR plan to created the rollup to Initiative issues.  Therefore, it will show up in the plan automatically.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2020

@Georgia Harlow - Forgot to mention that the fields that you need to expose in your plan is named "Parent" and not "Parent Link".. Once you expose the field in your plan, then you can associate your EPICs with Initiative.

Best, Joseph

2020-09-23_9-18-30.png

That field is not displayed by default in the plan.  You have to add it in order for it to show the parent link.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2020

@Georgia Harlow - Did you exposed the Parent column in your plan?  Or is your current plan's issue source included the project that contained the "Initatives"?

Best, Joseph

If that's the best practice, it should be set up to have Parent visible by default.  This piece of information was not clear in the training.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2020

Yes, you are correct in AR.  It has to been done manually (we are using Jira DC On-Prems), so don't know if it is different versus Jira Cloud.

It is the same with adding "Parent Link" to the Jira project's issue screens.  It is also a manual process.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2020

@Georgia Harlow - Make sure that you already configured the hierarchy configuration that Initiative issue type is a parent of Epic.  To access the configuration (you will need to be a Jira System Admin) > access "Manage Apps" > access "Hierarchy configuration" option associated with AR for Jira.  

2020-09-23_9-09-53.png    

2020-09-23_9-10-22.png  

The Hierarchy must be setup first for the "Parent Link" column to work in your plan.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Apps Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events