Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic scheduling vs. limited resources

Dusty Rhoades October 23, 2019

I have a project schedule which I'm attempting to forecast with the help of Portfolio. However, I'm running into a slight roadblock while using the tool. I have up to three different scenario w/in one project plan to find the team's balance between scope bloat, resource capacity and item estimate/weight.

Initially, all three scenarios had the same total developer(s), total items, total item estimates and release parameters (dynamic scheduling) - which resulted in Portfolio generating the same release date for all three scenarios. However, once modifying the resources by scaling their 40hr weekly capacities down to 30, 20 and eventually 0. Portfolio holds to the initial date it had dynamically scheduled. And when adding to the original estimates per item within the stack, Portfolio begins flagging random items and notes them as "cannot be scheduled".

Shouldn't Portfolio instead tell me that additional sprints are required within my schedule based on limited resource capacity and bloated time estimates? 

My goal is to baseline my ideal target release date then layer in a 'buffer zone' of scope creep by increasing time estimates to account for bugs typically reported during our sprint verification process.

Any advice?

1 answer

0 votes
Lachlan G
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hey Dusty,

Not entirely sure of what you're trying to do here. I can guess that you're trying to use the calculate button to schedule everything for you and that it's having trouble. There are many reasons the calculation could fail.

Could you create a support ticket at https://getsupport.atlassian.com?
That way we can provide you with support specific to your circumstances and with higher security. 

Thanks,

Lachlan

Portfolio for Jira Server Team

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events