Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to too many projects

Timo Salo August 15, 2022

After our vacation we suddenly get this error on some of our Roadmaps, any clue what could be the reason? The roadmaps have appr 500 - 1200 issues according to the filters we use.image.png

2 answers

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2022

@Timo Salo -

Welcome to the community.  As stated by @Rik de Valk and further reply by @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , your filter used for your plan must be refined.  One thing you may need to concern is that when the filter query is used, the returning results are based on one's project access.

This means that user A - could ran the query and only get x number of row returns, but user B can get a different x number of returns.  It is because user A and B's access to project(s) are different.

Hope this helps

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2022

Hi, @Timo Salo , welcome to the community!
This message is often caused by one of the Issue Sources having too many projects in scope.

It could be that you have a Board as Source, where the board filter has many projects in scope. Maybe on purpose, but sometimes also cause by an unintended OR clause. Example:

project = MYPROJECT AND type = Story OR status = To Do

In this example filter the last statement returns all issues with To Do status across all projects in Jira. This type of unintended filtering is a common problem.

Or you have a Filter as issue source that doesn't have any restriction on Project. For example:

issuefunction in portfolioChildrenOf("type = Initiative AND status = 'In Progress'")

This filter also (theoretically) includes issues from any project across Jira.

Obviously I don't know what the cause is in your case. But I just wanted to share common issues from my experience. Hope that helps.

Have a nice day!

Timo Salo August 15, 2022

Thanks @Rik de Valk , I will check if thats the issue but the strange thing is that we have not changed our filter since before vacation. Maybe there is something included in our filter that has been changed by someone else.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2022

If your filter has a catchall clause like the one @Rik de Valk suggests (status = to-do), then someone adding a new project or changing the visibility so your team can see it will cause this problem.  You don't need to change the filter to cause it - someone could create data that tips the plan over the edge.

Like Joseph Chung Yin likes this
Timo Salo August 16, 2022

Thank you for your answers but I now got confirmed from our internal support that they actually had some issues that caused the error and they have fixed it today so our plans are working now again :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events