Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation to update the field of the child tickets and their child tickets

Bastien Delourmel August 25, 2021

Good morning y'all, 

I need to create an automation (with automation rule) that, update a field automatically: 

From the "parent" ticket I modify a field. From there, the child ticket has this same field modified, as well as its child.

Here is the context: 

• Issue #1 (parent of) -> field 'priority' is updated manually 
    • Issue #2 (which is child of #1 and parent of #3) -> field 'priority' must be updated automatically 
      • Issue #3 (child of #2) -> field 'priority' must be updated automatically

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Regards,

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2021

Hi @Bastien Delourmel 

For a cascading updates like this (parent to child to...) it may help to have multiple rules for each level.  This will be easier to implement, debug, and maintain.

For example for a cascade downward:

• One rule detects field changes in an epic, tests issue type to confirm it is an epic, and then update its children
  • Another rule (with the option "Allow Rule Trigger" selected in the Details), that detects the field change, tests issue type is story/task/bug, and then update sub-tasks

Best regards,
Bill

Bastien Delourmel August 26, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy , 

Thanks a lot, it does work to create two rules! ^^

I was thinking to create a listener, but it will be easier with automation rule for potential maintenance. 

Thanks!

Regards

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

Hi @Bastien Delourmel

Take a look at this post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-discussions/Jira-Automation-Video-Tutorial-on-how-to-keep-Parent-and/td-p/1783535

You will have to look at rule 2 and add an additional branch.  You will also have to change the brach to "linked issues" with the correponding relationships.

Bastien Delourmel August 25, 2021

Hi, thanks for your answer. Unfortunalty I already try this solution, but in Automation Rule we  have "Parent of" and "Child of" (but not, the "Child of its child" ahah)

automation.PNGAutomation1.png

If from the Issue #1 I change the field priority, it will change the field "priority" to the issue #2 (but not for the issue #3, because #1 is not directly parent to the issues #3). 

But if I change the field priority of the issue #2, because the issue #2 is linked to #1 and #3, the update is made. 

Automation rule: (I tried to change "parent" of to "child of" and so on)

automation.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events