Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic re-scheduling of tasks with delayed dependencies

Nita Volder Hansen June 15, 2020

Can Jira advanced roadmaps automatically re-schedule a plan if a task with dependencies is delayed? 

Or is there another way to see the consequence of a delay in the project? 

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2020

Hello @Nita Volder Hansen ,

Yes, using the Auto-schedule function should update the schedule to reflect the current status, and if you have a open issue that is has gone beyond the initial scheduled time that also has a dependency when you reschedule, the issues should calculate the dependent issue after the issue it is dependent on. You can use the auto-schedule to generate a preview for the suggested schedule update to see the behavior, and then decide whether or not you'll accept the auto-scheduled changes before committing.

Check out the Scheduling work documentation for more details.

Regards,
Earl

Andrew K July 1, 2020

Hi @Earl McCutcheon

I have a similar issue in which I need to push dates out depending on the scheduling... however when I test this out and push a dependent task to start before predecessor task completed date, auto-schedule function doesn't actually push the date back accordingly. 

Do  you know why that is? it's a JIRA Cloud instance Advanced Roadmaps with Kanban team.

image.png

Like Steven Dodd likes this
Steven Dodd July 15, 2020

I have seen the same issue

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2020

Hello @Andrew K & @Steven Dodd ,

We have been looking into this one for a bit and found that the the auto scheduler is not moving around stories without story points or time estimates regardless of the dependency value, could you please have a look at the plan, and check to see if the issues not being scheduled on the dependency are missing story points.

Regards,
Earl

Steven Dodd August 6, 2020

The issues in the plan do not all have story points. In fact some of the issues in the plan are dependencies and other initiatives that don't have story points ever.

The auto scheduler does move these forward in the plan regardless of if story points are set or if they have estimates.

Sorry I have an open support case for this which I thought I was responding to..

Marcos Passos January 10, 2021

Same issue here. Is there any workaround? Not being able to reschedule a plan makes the whole feature useless.

Like Panteley.Kramarski likes this
Raimund Antonitsch January 30, 2023

@Marcos Passos @Steven Dodd @E M @Andrew K Hy all, I'm still running in the same issue, even if the initiative has an estimate. Is there already any workaround or fix available? Delayed tasks happen quite often, therefore I thought that re-schedulung dependent tasks is a basic feature.

fyi: I'm planning initiatived in View "Top-level-planning" of Advanced Roadmaps. All initative have estimates in hours. Four initiatives are simply connected with a "blocks" dependency. If I move the first one to a later start date, an automated re-planning does not give me the expected result, even if I'm just replanning the successors. Initiatives are not moved or set concurrently.

Thanks in advance.

Roman_Benesch September 22, 2023

We have the same problem. This means the auto scheduler is unusable for us.

Like Chris Reinink likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events