Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate updating of start and due date based on delayed dependencies

Hyqel Helmy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 10, 2021

Hi there,

I've set up my jira project as such:

• Each epic denotes a product
  • Each project epic has various task issues under it that are created via automation
  • Each task has a start date and due date 
  • Estimates/Story points fields are currently not in use, only the 2 date fields above
  • Most tasks have dependencies on other tasks within the same epic

I'd like to set an automation that adjusts the start and due date of all dependent tasks based on the due date of a trigger task. For example:

• Epic A has 4 tasks within it, all with start and due dates set
  • Task 1 is delayed, so I change the due date to 1 week later
  • Task 2 is dependent on Task 1, so its start and due date is automatically pushed back 1 week
  • Task 3 is dependent on Task 2, so its start and due date is automatically pushed back 1 week
  • Task 4 is not dependent on any task above, so its start and due date remain unchanged

Is this possible to automate, and if so, what's the best way to do it? Is a paid app needed? I've tried using auto-schedule in advanced roadmaps, or playing around with automation and smart values, to no avail. Any guidance in this matter is appreciated!

1 answer

2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2021

Hi @Hyqel Helmy  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can do this with automation for Jira rules, and can find solutions others have used by searching for automation synchronization examples in posts in this community forum.

Please note that your use cause is similar to others, but not an exact match.  I suggest reviewing these docs and the template library for ideas, and then creating your rule based on your needs:

Here is a related example rule for synching parent child fields: 

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/140671

If you have problems with your rule, please post an image of your rule and the audit log and the community will try to help.

Kind regards,
Bill

Daniel Brvnišťan December 13, 2021

Hi Bill,

I have upvoted your answer as it indeed seems to be the best option right now.

I would however expect this to be possible OOTB in Plan, as it is in MS Project.

Are you aware of any open feature request for this? If not, I will consider raising one.

Thanks,
Daniel

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2021

Hi @Daniel Brvnišťan 

I do not know of specific open suggestions for this, so you may want to make one which addresses your needs. 

However I do remember seeing a post from the roadmap team about a code-a-thon experiment to allow dynamically shifting those dates based upon a dependent issue change from the roadmap.  They were considering adding a suggestion for that to assess interest.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Daniel Brvnišťan likes this
Daniel Brvnišťan December 19, 2021

Hi Bill,

I could not find either (or the blog post), so I created a new one and will raise it with our customer success manager:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-3104

I would appreciate if you considered voting on it :)

Thanks,
Daniel

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events