Advanced Roadmaps: What's the interaction between Team custom field and Sub-task issue types?

Darrel Jackson August 10, 2021

I'm putting together a FAQ for my user base for moving from Jira Standard to Jira Premium with Advanced Roadmaps.

I've recent migrated from using a custom field to track issue assignment to teams to using the Team field in Advanced Roadmaps. I'm noticing that the Team field has special interactions with Sub-task issue types. The product documentation doesn't seem to cover it so I'm looking for clarifications on how it is supposed to work. 

First observation, you can't assign Team to a Sub-task issue type. If you add Team to the screen it is read-only and displayed with a value of "None".

Second observation, when you JQL search by Team you'll get all the sub-tasks for a given standard issue assigned to that team.

I infer from both these observations that sub-tasks are implied to be assigned to the team of the parent issue.

To date most of the screens in our instance that deal with standard issues (Tasks, Stories, Bugs) are shared with sub-tasks. This interaction with Team field means I need new, separate screens for sub-tasks so people don't mistakenly think the sub-task is not assigned to a Team.

Are there any other implications I'm not aware of?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2021

Hi @Darrel Jackson 

No, I think you are onto it/have i covered. 

We have a different screen for sub-tasks that doesn't show the Team field (which was confusing for a while) but I can confirm,

• Yes, sub-task needs to be in the same team as it's parent.
  • All Sub-tasks inherit the team from their parent
  • You don't need to show the team field on the sub-tasks for all of this to work
Darrel Jackson August 10, 2021

Thanks for confirming.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events