Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Roadmap support for next-gen projects?

JP Tetrault December 30, 2020

We're currently evaluating roadmapping software outside of Jira, but I just noticed the option to create Plans.

It looks like it may solve many of the limitations of individual project roadmaps, but it's telling me that next-gen projects are not supported when creating plans.

This is surprising, since I imagined that new functionality would work with the newest types of projects.

Am I missing something? Please clarify. Also, the roadmaps need to work with both classic and next-gen together - is that possible?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2020

Hi @JP Tetrault 

This question is close to my heart - I've had to migrate from Next-Gen to Classic to include some projects in my planning which is laborious, but I was glad I did it (I really like Advanced Roadmaps). This is not going to be an option for some though of course.

I've seen comments from Atlassian Product Marketing confirming it is something they are looking at incorporating but they couldn't say when. I'll see if I can get an update on this for you.

Advanced Roadmaps came about from an add-on called Portfolio which was built with classic projects, so I imagine there is a considerable amount of work in building compatibility with Next-gen.

Next-gen isn't necessarily better/newer- it is great for team autonomy and ease of use whereas classic is great for managing scale and additional control. Classic projects have more admin overheads though so it's Next-gen is more appropriate for some teams.

Fingers crossed we are not far off from being able to include next-gen projects in AR Plans!

JP Tetrault December 31, 2020

Ok, thanks Stuart. Disappointing for sure, I suppose we'll have to go with a third-party provider for now.

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 31, 2020

Hello @JP Tetrault & @Stuart Capel - London ,

Unfortunately, as Stuart noted above at this time, Advanced Roadmaps does not support next-gen projects, and will only work with the classic project types, so you will need to plan out which projects you want to see in the Advanced Roadmaps plans in advance and convert any Next-Gen projects to classic projects to make this happen, details on converting the project type can be seen in:

However, this is something we are looking into but still a way out in finalization efforts, and we are tracking this feature at the following feature request:

Do note that it is already a highly voted request, that does bump up the priority, but is still only committed to "Gathering Interest" at this time.  So please do make sure to add your votes as well to track the continued interest and help in feature prioritization efforts as covered in the Implementation of New Features Policy, and I also recommend adding yourselves as watchers to this request as well to get updates on the status of the request and any future updates from the development team on the request.

Regards,
Earl

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events