Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is behaviour running when form value hasn't changed.

Margaret Boisvert February 15, 2021

I have behavior that is attached to a custom field (Client Type).  If the Client Type changes, I need to reset another custom field (State) to None so that the user has to pick it again.

This works fine while making changes to different fields on the form, but the behavior also runs when I submit the Create form and wipes out the other custom field so the form throws an error because the 2nd custom field is required and has been reset to None.

The value of the Client Type field did not change but the code is still running.  I have verified the through logging.

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import org.apache.log4j.Level

log.debug("Running Client Type field code")

def ClientTypeField = getFieldById(getFieldChanged())
def selectedClientType = ClientTypeField.getValue().toString()
log.debug("Client Type = " + selectedClientType)

def stateField = getFieldByName("State")
stateField.setFormValue(null)

Why is the behavior running when I submit the form???

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Jia Jie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2021

Hi Margaret,

It's possible caused by this bug here: Field server-side behaviour scripts trigger when create/edit window opened before the user has interacted with the field

When you submit the form and an error message is thrown, it reload the screen and the field server-side behaviour scripts triggered before/without interacting with the field.

0 votes
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

That is not my experience...

What I normally see is that the script runs once when you open the screen (be that for create, edit or any transition) and the form is initialized with its starting value. FOr create that could be "null" or the default value for the context. For edit/transition, that would be with the value coming from the issue object in the back-end.

Then, it executes only when you change the value.

I've never seen it executing when submitting the form.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events