Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make a custom field in TM4J standard to all projects?

Vickey Lee July 27, 2020

I have many unique projects in JIRA. Each has its own QA and Dev team. They can use TM4J to create their own Test Cases, Test Cycle and Test Plan.

However, I would like to add some custom fields and make them standard across all JIRA project TM4J. Is it doable?

Now, it seems I can create custom field only on each project. If I want to have a non-built in field for the Test Case, Test Cycle and Test Plan, I will have to create the "custom" fields with the same name in every single JIRA.TM4J project. That will be too many to do.

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2020

Right now, that's not possible.

I made a feature suggestion about that about a year ago. I can't trace it anymore since their service desk moved from Adaptavist to SmartBear with the recent acquisition.

Also, since this is posted under the Adaptavist community and that app no longer belongs to them, you may not get direct help/suggestions from the vendor here.

But if you happen to also have scriptrunner for jira ... and are on server ... and are willing to get dirty with code up to your elbow ... it's possible to create custom fields in each of your projects using some automation.

In my case, I've setup a standard set of fields that I want all projects to use and when I enable a project, I can just click on a button and create all those custom fields. This uses a combination of public AND private API, so not necessarily something I'd recommend.

Vickey Lee July 27, 2020

@Peter , thanks for the fast response.

I cannot find TM4J community to post the Q. The closest I could find is this Adaptavist and I was hoping it could append TM4J since the SmartBear acquisition.

I have not tried using scriptrunner yet. It sounds like your method is to create custom fields with the same caption name automatically.  If this is the case, the internal ID of those fields will be different even though they have the same caption. It could cause filtering problem. It means I will have to customize filter for each project even if I use the same field name but they are different internal ID in the JIRA project.  Right?  

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2020

Yes, unique custom field for each project with identical label and identical options (in the case of select type fields).

Since all reports and filters within Tm4J or when using JQL let you select filter values by the label, having different unique id in the db doesn't seem to hurt anything.

It will only make any potential extract and metrics using external BI tools a little trickier but not impossible.

Like Vickey Lee likes this
Vickey Lee July 28, 2020

@Peter-Dave Sheehan , thanks for your tips.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events