Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert HTML tags in description field (when copying from Insight Textarea attribute)

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2021

I have a couple of textarea fields defined in Insight.

When copying these over to a text field in an issue (e.g. Description) the content is copied over but with the HTML tags as formatting (and not rendered).

I'm guessing this is due to the fact that the Description field isn't HTML but more a richtext type of field?

Anybody know of a way/method/work around to not lose the formatting and but also not show the html tags?

Right now doing a simple copy of the content will give you a single line of text with the HTML around it..

Meaning:

Do the following:

will turn in to

<p>Do the following:</p><p>- 1</p><p>- 2</p>

2 answers

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Rafael Pinto Sperafico
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans ,

Insight stores the text value as (X)HTML:

import com.onresolve.scriptrunner.runner.customisers.WithPlugin;
import com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.insight.channel.external.api.facade.ObjectFacade;
import com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.insight.services.model.ObjectAttributeBean;
import com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.insight.services.model.ObjectAttributeValueBean;

@WithPlugin("com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.insight")

import org.apache.log4j.Level;
log.setLevel(Level.DEBUG);

ObjectFacade objectFacade = ComponentAccessor.getOSGiComponentInstanceOfType(ObjectFacade);
List<ObjectAttributeBean> objectAttributeBeanList = objectFacade.findObjectAttributeBeans(15);
objectAttributeBeanList.each {
ObjectAttributeValueBean objectAttributeValueBean = it.getObjectAttributeValueBeans().find();
log.debug(objectAttributeValueBean.getTextValue())
}

In the example above, in the output we would find:

<p><strong>Population</strong></p><ul><li>2021 estimate:&nbsp;<strong>45,605,826</strong></li></ul><p><strong>Area</strong></p><ul><li>Total:&nbsp;<strong>2,780,400&nbsp;km2</strong></li></ul><p>&nbsp;</p>

Since Jira expects a different format (Jira WikiMarkup), then the above could be converted by using com.atlassian.renderer.wysiwyg.converter.DefaultWysiwygConverter

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue;
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser;
import com.atlassian.jira.event.type.EventDispatchOption;
import com.atlassian.renderer.wysiwyg.converter.DefaultWysiwygConverter;

String fromInsight = "<p><strong>Population</strong></p><ul><li>2021 estimate:&nbsp;<strong>45,605,826</strong></li></ul><p><strong>Area</strong></p><ul><li>Total:&nbsp;<strong>2,780,400&nbsp;km2</strong></li></ul><p>&nbsp;</p>"
DefaultWysiwygConverter defaultWysiwygConverter = new DefaultWysiwygConverter()
String wikiMarkup = defaultWysiwygConverter.convertXHtmlToWikiMarkup(fromInsight);

IssueManager issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager();
MutableIssue mutableIssue = (MutableIssue) issueManager.getIssueObject("FOO-1");
mutableIssue.setDescription(wikiMarkup)

ApplicationUser applicationUser = ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser();
issueManager.updateIssue(applicationUser, mutableIssue, EventDispatchOption.DO_NOT_DISPATCH, false);

Resulting on:

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 23.10.41.png

For the example you have described, the above should do the trick. However, there will be conversion that will not work, requiring fine tuning.

Kind regards,
Rafael

Brent Nye October 24, 2023

Great solution. Thank you!

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2021

I did a bit more research myself and seems I would need to find a way to convert HTML to jira wiki markup?

Anybody has a clue if such a method/class exists that can be used in a scriptrunner script?

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2021
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

Thanks @Matt Doar .

I wasn't really able to find a quick solution there but I noticed my main issue was the addition of <p></p> arround the text itself.

So a simple 

replace("<p>","\\\\")

and

replace("</p>","")

did the trick, I'll have to see what else comes out when we start using more formatting on the Insight objects but for now this will do :)

Like Matt Doar likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events