Hi! I've been trying to build a rule that would let me automatically copy the assignee from the parent issue. But it doesn't work, and for the life of me, I have no idea why. Currently, for testing purposes, I've built it so that the trigger is manual. ATSV3-1 is my parent issue, which has an assignee, and ATSV3-8 is the child issue, which has a parent and no assignee, that I'm trying to get to copy the assignee from the parent via automation. I'm running the rule from the ATSV3-8. I'm attaching a few screenshots. I'm using the cloud version of Jira Service Management. And yes, I'm using Edit issue fields action - Assignee > Copy from parent. Hope someone here can give me some guidance. Ty
I may be misunderstanding here, but I don't see why you need the branch at all? In ATSV3-8, just use "edit issue field" that you have, pick the assignee value, and "Copy Assignee from Parent".
At the moment, it looks like your jumping into the parent ticket, and then editing that one?
Hi Calvin, that makes sense. I tried something else already too, but that doesn't work either. It seems similar to what you suggest. Is there a reason why I can't use Assign the issue to and need to specifically use Edit issue fields? Because mine still doesn't work.
I have tried your recommendation, unfortunately doesn't work - any ideas what I'm doing incorrectly?
My trigger issue clearly has a parent issue, which in turn has an assignee. Still the error seems to be that it can't find an issue to copy from. I'm so lost at this point, this seems to be way harder than it should. That's the reason tbh why I tried branching.
Hi @Aiste Marija Aidukaite-Urbanovic -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
To copy the field from the parent, use that option in the edit: "Copy from parent". That will use the built-in parent / child relationship for issues. For example, between and Epic and Story.
However what you show is "issue linking" and not the built-in parent / child relationship. When you want to identify the issue by linking, that would need to use the key directly to find the assignee.
Kind regards,Bill
Hi @Aiste Marija Aidukaite-Urbanovic , thanks for the screenshots above, they are great!
In your last image I see your "linked issue" with the link type "is a child of" that then links to another "task". This is actually a different type of link to a parent-child that Atlassian uses. Which is why this won't work.
Essentially Atlassian is able to use "subtasks" to split apart issues instead, in your image you can see how they are created just under your name where it shows "Create Subtask". You will also see this is connected completely different to the "linked issue" way that you have. This would allow you to use the "Assign from Parent".
This might be more the direction you want to go, but just a heads up, subtasks are not able to be visible in the portal as you can't set a request type.
If however you want to continue using just "tasks" then it is a bit more complicated, and I feel there are some good solutions here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/How-to-copy-assignee-from-linked-issue-to-trigger-issue/qaq-p/1869878
I would however take a look at the business rules on this before going ahead. As you may find it easier to create these secondary tasks that you are linking as "a child of" type via automation, which would allow you to create the task and add the assignee in one go from the parent, instead of trying to reach out to the linked item to get field details and then bring it back.
Hi Bill, thanks
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.