When I paste text that contains an asterisk, such as the the example below, in either a normal text area, or into a section of text formatted as code, the asterisk disappears. Nothing happens to make me think it treats it as markdown, and clearly this should not happen in code formatted text. It does paste correctly in a code block such as the one below.
sed -E 's/(somestring.*otherstring)blah( .*$)/\1replacemiddle\2/' somefile
I don't know if this affects other characters. I have tested this in three cloud products: Jira Software, Jira Service Management, and Confluence. I have been unable to find a bug report for this, but I doubt I'm unique in having this happen.
Are any of you aware of a ticket regarding this, or any relevant information? I would need someone else in my company to raise a ticket, so only want to do that if this is not already known and being addressed.
Service management comment, Confluence page, and Software comment screenshots:

