Hey, I'd like to link issues in cases where a sub-task is transitioned to an own issue. For example, sub-task is transitioned to its own story. I now want the new issue being linked to the former parent.
This is what I tried but it fails. Any ideas?
Hi @Lars Böhnke
After trying many things since last night, I manage to do something, but not quite what you want to achieve. And I think that I have found out the reason why:
The solution would be to track the changes for the Parent link. However the parent link is locked to the Premium Plan only.
I did manage to succeed on making a connection when a subtask was changing the parent, but NOT when a subtask was converted to an issue.
I honestly believe that with the standard plan this can't be done
What a pity. But thanks man for playing around with it! Appreciate it!
No problem. It's a pity that I wasn't able to help you
Hi @Lars Böhnke + @Alex Koxaras -Relational-
could you please do me a favour and have a look into the following - in my instance (Free, not Premium) from the looks it worked - however there must be something in the wind, when you both said it is too hard it's unlikely this is what you are searching for.
Let's go.
What I understood and what works:when a sub-task is existing under an issue and the sub-task will be converted to an issue using "Convert to issue" the user wants to have a link between the new (converted) issue and the former issue (the previous parent).Please do a test and let me know what is missing.Nothe the test was in a company-managed project. (Free plan).
Cheers,Daniel
Didn't work for me I use
Value change → for parent link → for create issue
then link issue → split from → {{issue.parent.key}}
Two questions + one idea:1.) the issue stays within the same project but gets assigned a different parent, correct?You do not try to move it to another project if I understand it correctly, right?
2.) is this a company-managed project or a team-managed project?
3.) Could you please try to log the {{issue.parent.key}} using a log action, probably the step before actually linking?
1. yes
2. team-managed
3. Will try, thx
... this is one I just did not want to give up. Meanwhile there is a rule that does what you suggested - it got quite complex, though.
It works using a team-managed project.Mainly it is based on API call, this is needed as the requirement is complex and cannot be satisfied with stock rules, what turned out when you both tried.
The rule itself looks the following:
On trigger "Value changes for" "Issue Type" (for Edit issue) a web request to Jira own's API is sent to investigate the current's issue changelog.The following Smart Value is put to a variable called "restcall":
{{#webhookResponse.body.changelog.histories.last}}{{#items}}{{fromString}}{{toString}}{{/}}{{/}}
The next following log to audit is not especially needed, it can be neglected.
Then using the variable "restcall" the API is queried once again to get the key (ABC-123) of the issue's ID.
A new variable "restcallissuekey" will be holding the value
{{webhookResponse.body.key}}
In the last step of the rule the issue is linked to the former parent issue - by using the key from the variable.
Please check if it works for you.
Oha, will try! Thanks!
Worked for me this way:
1. Using Jira Automation plugin (free version), add a new rule. You need to come up with some trigger (I selected simply Issue updated), add a condition (I selected only Sub-task issue type within my project) and the action "Edit issue fields".
In Linked issues, select your desirable link type. In the field Issue, it will give you only two options to choose from. But you can also free-type there. Copy-paste didn't work for me at first, only after typing some letters.
Put there this text: {{issue.parent.key}} and save your rule.
2. Then, just trigger automation by updating or bulk-updating your Sub-tasks. For example, you can add a label to all of them. It will link your Sub-tasks to their parents.
3. Then, bulk-move your Sub-tasks into your desired issue type such as Task or Story. Probably can be combined with #2, but need to play with it to make sure (the relevant trigger might be different).
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.