Hello all,
I am new to Automation for Jira and have a scenario that I could use some help with. We use the Advanced Roadmaps hierarchy to link most of our work in the following manner:
Portfolio Epic > Program Epic > Epic > Story
Linking our Epics to Program Epics and up is accomplished using the Parent Link field. We are in process of migrating to the cloud and want to leverage Automation for Jira, which will help us to reduce our effort fixing workflows and feel that we have some opportunities.
Where we seem to be falling a bit short is figuring out how best to use Automation to copy field from those parent issues when they are created. Example: If I create an Epic, connect it to a Program Epic using the Parent Link, then I want to copy fields from that Program Epic onto my Epic.
Using Automation, my thought is to have:
1. Issue Create Trigger
2. Condition to determine if Parent Link is not empty
2a. If not empty then copy fields from Parent issue
I started with Comparing values but this does not seem to work
{{issue.customfield_15004}} does not match regular expression (^null$|^$)
And my understanding is that JQL has some performance impacts, so it is better to use smart values where possible.
Now, we are not trying to solve all the world's issues yet, but if we could get some assistance or recommendation on how best to approach this scenario, would would be greatly appreciative as our next step will be to build on this so we have 1 rule to manage several issue types within our hierarchy.
Thanks in advance.