Hi There, I want to create subtasks based on number of multi-select values selected. Is this possible using automation in Jira Cloud?
Thanks in Advance
Hi @Vedant Kulkarni_Trundl
I suspect the answer is "yes", as you would use the list functions to determine the number of selections. Please see this documentation to help you get started:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-lists/
Best regards,
Bill
Yes you can do this. In the simplest method, you'll just check the field's size using smart tags to access the fields information.
In the below example, I have a custom multi select field called symptom
@Julian Governale thanks for the answer.
How do I compare dynamic values?
ex- Custom field Application having values = [1,2,3,....,N] - In this case, automation should create "N" subtasks. Is this possible?
To follow up, @Vedant Kulkarni_Trundl
There are no looping functions on a field value (or number of times) yet in automation. Here are the suggestions to add those features:
https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-81
https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1312
Until then, if you have an upper limit on the number of sub-tasks which is less than about 20 then you could use If/Else clauses. There is a maximum of 64 components in a rule so I am guesstimating that you can probably add about 20 sub-tasks before you run out of space.
__Bill
Hi @Bill Sheboy ,
Quick question - can you iterate through some custom field and based on that create sub-tasks? For example, I would need to create the following automation: when someone adds users to multi-user picker field, create that many sub-tasks and assign each sub-task to one user from that field.
Hi @Tomislav Tobijas
Probably, depending upon your Jira version (and thus your version of automation rule actions).
If you have Jira Cloud, you may use an Advanced Branch to iterate over the values of a field / smart value list, as described here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Branching-over-smart-values-in-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1741935
The tricky part is in the details / rule timing: as you expect values to change over time, you probably want one-and-only-one subtask per person, correct?
If so add some logic / conditions inside of the branch to check if the subtask already exists to prevent duplication.
Kind regards,Bill
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.