Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update field based on rules based on the following parameters new plug

Iryna Pazharytskaya March 12, 2021

Hello everyone,

I am new to Jira and I encountered a problem I don't seem to be able to solve. When using a function Update field based on rules based on the following parameters where I want to insert Temporary text in a string the following error pops up:

"It is not possible to evaluate an expression that contains fields that are only available during a transition".

Is there any way to fix this bug?

Thank youtemp.PNG

4 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

10 votes
Answer accepted
Frank Leclerc _Decadis AG_ March 14, 2021

Hi @Iryna Pazharytskaya ,

my colleague @Max Foerster - K15t  has already correctly recognised that this is not an error (even if it looks like one at first glance), but a hint.

Testing an expression within a Condition, Validator or PostFunction is still relatively new and has only been available since Jira Workflow Toolbox version 3.0.

Currently, only expressions that refer to information already stored in the issue, such as Summary, Description, CustomField A, CustomField B, etc., can be tested.
Information that is determined at runtime during workflow execution, such as temporary string or number fields, previous status, target status, etc., can be included in an expression but cannot be tested because this information is not available at the time of testing.

However, as @Max Foerster - K15t  said, your expression looks good. Therefore, it should run successfully as long as the TemporaryText2 field has been set in one of the previous PostFunctions.

If this is not the case, you are welcome to create a support issue for us under https://support.decadis.net/plugins/servlet/desk/portal/2. For support, it would be helpful to get not only a screenshot of the single PostFunction but of the PostFunction overview, so we can see where the TemporaryText2 field is set.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Frank

Iryna Pazharytskaya March 15, 2021

Thank you @Frank Leclerc _Decadis AG_ ,

I tested it on my test project and it was executed, but without taking into consideration the email stored in Temporary text 2 (so it was only sent to the other two emails). I am attaching the screen shots of my workflow, so that you can see what I mean by "pasting an email address".  Though within the body of the email Temporary text 2 worked just fine.parse11.jpgParse2.PNG

Frank Leclerc _Decadis AG_ March 15, 2021

Hi @Iryna Pazharytskaya

actually, that looks good to me. I have recreated the whole thing and for me the temporary texts are set correctly:

update field based.PNG

To better understand the whole thing, I put the strings into comments and tried with both variants:

update field based2.PNG

And this is how it looks in the e-mail:

update field based3.PNG

It is important that the rule mode Text and the Expression Mode Basic are selected for the rules.

Does this help you?

Cheers,
Frank

Like Iryna Pazharytskaya likes this

Dear @Frank Leclerc _Decadis AG_ ,

Thank you so much for your help. I tried it again after I saw your screens and now it works! When I do a test it's still giving the warning: 'It is not possible to evaluate an expression that contains fields that are only available during a transition.', but the emails are being sent correctly. It's a mystery to me why it didn't wor before, but I am glad it's solved now.

Thank you,

Iryna

Frank Leclerc _Decadis AG_ March 15, 2021

Hi @Iryna Pazharytskaya

that's great.

If you have more questions about the Jira Workflow Toolbox, don't be afraid to open an issue in our support portal.

We will be happy to help you.

Cheers,
Frank

0 votes
Justine Violante {Appfire} March 15, 2021

Hi @Iryna Pazharytskaya 

Just wanted to check, were you trying to complete this with JSU before, and now JWT (your screenshotted interface)?

From what you have explained, it should work fine in JSU. Do feel free to reach out to our support team if you need more guidance. We'd be happy to help 🙂 

Sorry it was a typo. I think it was JWT before and now.

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2021

Hey there, thanks @Darryl Lee for mentioning me! I'm without my laptop right now but from what I read so far you're simply trying to test your expression in the configuration, @Iryna Pazharytskaya? And you're expression will only work in the context of the transition. The field is not available and has no value at the moment. So did you maybe try to simply execute the real-life scenario? Doesn't look like a bug to me right and it's a more useful information than simply pasting nothing for the field and don't telling you. 😁 But I will have a look at it and get back to you! For now I wish you all a happy Friday! :)

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2021

Hello @Iryna Pazharytskaya,

I'm not 100% sure what app/add-on you are using to try and accomplish this task, but based on what the error is describing it sounds like you have a field that exists on the transition screen but is not available on the view/edit screens - "It is not possible to evaluate an expression that contains fields that are only available during a transition."

As a first start I'd recommend checking the screen scheme for this project to see if that might be the case.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Iryna Pazharytskaya March 12, 2021

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, exactly the field we are creating exists only during the transition (Temporary text ). Let's say we want to assign an email to it depending on the region, which later on will be pasted into cc. field as one of the emails (like string1, string2, %Temporary text}) and we use Update field based on rules based on the following parameters function for that. Before the changes in JWT plug in it worked perfectly fine. Now as we are implementing the changes it seems to be impossible to use it like we did before. We don't actually want to have it on any of the screens.

I also noticed that it is possible to paste the temporary text with the string whithin the email body when using "Send an email based on the following parameters" function because the parsing mode can be set to the "Mixed mode" which cannot be used within Update field based on rules based on the following parameters where the available parsing modes are Advanced and Basic only.

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2021

@Iryna PazharytskayaI don't see where you mentioned which version of Jira you are using although I suspect it is server since I don't recognize your screenshots and I don't have any experience with JSU. I would assume JSU would work in the same fashion as the built-in Automation rules. Have you tried the same field change using Automation instead of JSU?

Like Iryna Pazharytskaya likes this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2021

@Iryna Pazharytskaya are you using JWT (Jira Workflow Toolbox)? 

(Man, I was racking my brain trying to figure out where that UI was from.)

https://apps.decadis.net/display/JWTSDC/JWT+expression+editor

Maybe tagging in somebody from Decadis would help. :-}

@Max Foerster - K15t ?

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2021

Also more recently active, @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ 

Like # people like this

Thank you @Darryl Lee Yes, it's JWT.  I am reading the papers, still can't figure it out.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events