To create a a Power BI dashboard using data from Jira Service Desk

james-selva-kumar February 21, 2021

Dear all, I am using the Jira for some time and just migrated to Jira Service desk. Seems Jira Service Desk is a better platform and makes things easy to work and handle.Lately, i have an assignment to in cooperate Jira data with Power BI for better data Visualization. Is there any possible way to get the data from Jira Service Desk and have a real time visualization with just a refresh function.Thank you.

1 answer

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2021

Hello @james-selva-kumar 

Welcome to Atlassian Community..!!!

Two ways of connection from Jira/JSM can be performed

1.  In Jira/JSM we have the connector called Power BI connector for Jira & the add-on is supported for cloud as well data center variant.

2, I seem that Power BI already has a content pack that integrates with JIRA.

To connect to the JIRA content pack, simply choose JIRA from the list of available content packs. You will be asked to provide your JIRA URL and credentials.

Please, check the documentation below to have more details on how you can configure the mentioned content pack & also find the relevant links

Explore your JIRA Data with Power BI 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Jira-and-Power-BI/td-p/393785#

Thanks and Regards,

Ganesh Babu J

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

Hi @james-selva-kumar and welcome to the Atlassian Community.  I'd just add that one should be careful when connecting BI type tools to Jira as they can make significant performance impacts depending on the way and frequency with which they are used.  Be sure to have a good monitoring baseline established prior to releasing any tool of this type to the user community at large so you can monitor the affects of usage and tune your instance appropriately.  In several cases, I've had to stand up a read-only copy of the Jira database that's refreshed some number of times each day so reporting tools didn't cause the application to become sluggish and unresponsive to users.  Cheers!

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

That is a good tip for sure Larry. Any large and frequent queries can be a burden.

Like Stuart Capel - London likes this
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

Is that a risk for Cloud or just Server/DC @LarryBrock ?

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

Hi @Stuart Capel - London !

It definitely applies to Server/DC but since one cannot monitor the backend of Cloud, it's hard to say.  I suspect it could significantly impact Cloud performance too given the I/O intensive nature of the hit on the DB I've seen in the past.

~~Larry

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events