Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between Listening & Hearing?

Ramya Sindhura Varanasi November 4, 2021

Hello Everyone, today we had an interesting discussion about Good listening skills & this question was raised. I felt it would be nice to share with all of you & hear your opinions about this.

In my view, Hearing is something like passive listening. More like body present but mind absent & Listening is getting involved into the topic.

Best example I could think is "We hear a noise but we listen to Music".

Let me know your thoughts!

7 comments

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2021

You hear sounds, you listen to comprehend, process and respond.

Like Tracey Rouse likes this
Hakeem Olasupo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2021

Hearing simply happens. Listening leads to learning.

ANd also

Hearing is a skill where you use your ears only. It one of the five senses.

While

Listening uses different senses, like the sense of hearing, seeing, or sense of touch.

Kon Galanis November 4, 2021

Hearing is about the general everyday sounds around us, like I heard a dog bark, or I heard carn horn, "what's that sound". Whilst listening is about active hearing or mindful about what is happening around us. It requires a higher perception, ie paying close attention to what someone says and comprehending what was said. I once read "Listen is an anagram of Silent", so to listen is to be quite. 

Like Hakeem Olasupo likes this
Lou Pereira November 4, 2021

Listening is like a sport the more you practice the better you get at it.

Years ago I used to be on calls with various people and dialects and I thought, man these people can't speak.  Then I slowed down, listen with focus and was able to communicate.

Like # people like this
Kerri Shirey November 5, 2021

Hearing is the vehicle that allows you to listen.  When you're listening in a conversation, you're not formulating your response.

Like Ramya Sindhura Varanasi likes this
Malka Jackson _Isos Technology_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 5, 2021

Listening is an active action, with intent to comprehend. Hearing is passive and takes no skill. I have often had to ask, in response to, "I hear you," "Yes, but are you listening?"

Like Ramya Sindhura Varanasi likes this
Çiğdem Büyükaşik
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 18, 2021

Listening is a deliberate action done willingly, while hearing just happens without us giving our attention.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events