Welcome Wednesday: Work Check – Do Emojis Belong in the Workplace?

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

The latest episode of the Work Check Podcast dropped yesterday. If you haven’t listened to it, I highly recommend you take a listen to this episode and the previous 3 episodes in this season. They are all very informative and will certainly spur your creative mind!

Do emojis belong in the workplace? Some of you may be thinking, why not? Well, there are good arguments on both sides of this debate.

work-check.png

Me personally I am on the “pro” side of this debate as I love emojis! I think they make work more fun, make responses easier, and overall, I agree that it is ok to use them in the workplace. There are a couple of caveats though. The first one is where you use them is of the utmost importance. I mostly use them in my Microsoft Teams chats with other employees that I work with and in text messages with my friends and family. I do not use them in emails, documents, or any marketing or customer communications. The second caveat is which emojis you use. I take the utmost precautions when using emojis as to not be offensive. There are many emojis out there that are offensive and should not be used in the workplace (look up the taco emoji and you will see what they were referencing during the podcast). You really must know your audience and know which emojis are appropriate and which are not. My suggestion is to make sure you know what the emojis you are using mean and ensure they are easily understood within the context of your message.

So, post your comments below and let everyone know what you think and which side of the debate you fall on (and like what @John Funk said last week maybe it will be telling if you use an emoji in your comment).  

imageimageSmile catSmile dogCrossed fingersYesNoStarHundred pointsParty popperHands celebratingStar eyesRelievedUnicorn headPizza sliceSports medalHeart handsHeartCoolEyesUpside down faceLollipopSunCherry blossomCactus

Have a great rest of the week community!

14 comments

Comment

Josué Garcia April 19, 2023

giphy

Like # people like this
Josué Garcia April 19, 2023

Emojis are essential in the workplace! I would even argue the GIF's should also be acceptable nowadays since people are mostly remote. We are creatures of expressions and there are many instances where sending text is not enough. At least for me image

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Yes, so true @Josué Garcia!

Chris Iacovelli April 19, 2023

There is a time and place for emojis in the office (just like office humor or pranks) and it is our responsibility to use them judiciously. Formal content/writing/reporting is not that place, ever (in my opinion). Less formal missives (Teams chat, SMS, etc.) are fair game given the points made above.

thumbs.png

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2023

Yep, very well said @Chris Iacovelli!

Collista Lewingdon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2023

I agree with your points about if and when emoji's are appropriate. 

Like # people like this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2023

As long as they are work appropriate, I say yes!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

I like up 100% with you, Summer. The same could also apply to memes, gifs, etc. The use is oftentimes part of someone's personality as well. Again, as long as they are not offensive, let them enjoy their fun.  :-)

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2023

Totally agree @John Funk 

Like John Funk likes this
Frankie C_ April 20, 2023

I imagine that the major workplace chat providers (Slack, Webex, etc.) are becoming more attune to what is socially acceptable based on several factors and trends, but as a couple points have insinuated in thread: context and awareness are super important.

Like sure, the "taco" can mean a certain thing... but if we are having a friendly chat about "What's for lunch?", should I be shamed away from dropping a taco emoji??

I personally feel that email is trending a bit more casual in recent years, especially as more mail clients integrate with real-time chat/team/collaboration tools. Would I feel comfortable dropping a smiley or heart with an SVP?? Maybe not; But culture and relationships are so wildly varied these days, that I don't think there's a hard rule for the workplace. (Disclaimer: I've been known to drop a celebratory emojis in congratulatory emails from time to time... 🥳)

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

Great insights @Frankie C_! And I don't see why you can't use the taco emoji if you are referring to food! HAHA! 

Like # people like this
Getjan_lammers April 21, 2023

Emoji's definitely belong in the workplace....it is your place, hence  use them.

Surely when the app's in the workplace offer them.

emoji s use them.png

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2023

100% @Getjan_lammers 

Rosana Ferreira Soares dos Santos April 22, 2023

Hey!
I read the tread and agree that messages and e-mails are more casual nowadays, so emojis and gifs are acceptable ... of course they must be appropriate for professional
environment.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

That is true that messages and emails are more casual these days, at least at my company @Rosana Ferreira Soares dos Santos!

Emilia Naydenova April 24, 2023

As long as they can express different emotions and illustrate and emphasize on important information, emojis belong in the workplace 👀

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

Very true @Emilia Naydenova! Welcome to the community, btw! We are happy to have you here!

Like Emilia Naydenova likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

Hey @Summer_Hogan!

Thanks for making a great post!  I agreed with everyone!

Specifically I really like using reactions to messages on slack.  It helps reduce the number of pointless messages that are sent without losing the ability to provide your feelings.

I also agree with the points about the workplace becoming more casual.  I know there is a correct time and place to use emojis and I don't see any issues as long as that is respected.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

Great points @Jimmy Seddon! I like using reactions to things also instead of trying "I agree" or "that sounds good" or "absolutely". It saves precious minutes I could be spending elsewhere. 

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Prem April 24, 2023

Yes.jpg

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Love this @Premdeep 

Rory Trehy April 25, 2023

I think emoji's are great too! 

They help convey tone and also provide a way of expressing more abstract thoughts or ideas.

We use a ton of emoji's in our internal slack groups and it helps when a full reply feels like too much.

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Welcome to the community @Rory Trehy! We are happy to have you here! And thanks for the reply! 

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

I don't think I could exist without emojis... plus if the person on the other end uses them it's much easier for me to understand the tone and intent, am I alone in this?

Here are my frequently used ones 😅

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 19.10.30.png

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2023

Nope, you are not alone at all! I'm so with you and agree 100% @Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_ 

Justyna Gdowik _ Deviniti _
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 23, 2023

Emojis belong in the modern (aka remote) workplace! They convey tone, promote inclusivity, and inject fun into our digital interactions. Let's embrace their power to bridge communication gaps and foster positive relationships. 🙌

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

All true @Justyna Gdowik _ Deviniti _ - thanks for chiming in! 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events