Welcome Wednesday: What's your go-to summertime treat?

Loren Siegel
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 26, 2020

Hi Everyone,

I’m Loren, Atlassian’s Social Media Care Team Lead and I’m here today with another Welcome Wednesday question!

First off, I want to say thanks to everyone who participated in last week’s inaugural Welcome Wednesday. As always, we love it when new members of the Community stop by the Welcome Center to say hello and introduce themselves.

Just like last week, we’re tagging a few of our favorite new users to answer our question of the week, but as always, we’d love to hear from everyone!

So my question to you is this: What’s your go-to summertime treat? Mine is a strawberry milkshake from the ice cream shop down the street from my house. I tend to go on Saturday afternoon after working in the garden. It’s such a delightful treat on a hot Texas day.

So how about you? If you’re tagged in the comments, or just want to play along, please jump in!

softserve.gif

17 comments

Comment

William Naughton August 26, 2020

Toasted Coconut Almond ice cream.  Tastes like an almond joy on a cone.

Like # people like this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 26, 2020

Yum! I love an almond joy, @William Naughton

Is the Toasted Coconut Almond ice cream sold by the pint? Who makes it? 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
William Naughton August 27, 2020

They sell pints but it is locally made not a national brand, sorry.

Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 27, 2020

@William Naughton - all good! I'll look for something similar locally, thanks! 

Chip Morris August 26, 2020

I look forward to Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights when I take a small (or large!) handful of chocolate and drink my beer. Now that living!

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 1.34.23 PM.png

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

Chocolate Chip Morris! 

Like # people like this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

Woa I've never thought to have some chocolate with my evening beer @Chip L.

I might need to try that this weekend, do find the chocolate goes better with a lager or IPA? 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

@Loren Siegel Lager or IPA? Blasphemy! Chocolate chips go best with a Belgian stout!

Like Bridget likes this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2020

@Monique vdB , you are making the rather bold assumption that chocolate chips do not go best with pretty much anything you put them next to in the postprandial grazing period.

Like Bridget likes this

@Mike Rathwell "Postprandial grazing period." 😅

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

I know, 10 points for "postprandial grazing period" and also excellent point. 

Like Bridget likes this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

@Monique vdB I am taking notes and picking up a Belgian stout and chocolate bar this weekend! 

Like Bridget likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

Favorite summer treat?! I'd have to say WATERMELON. There's nothing better than picking up the perfect melon from the market - I know immediately when I slice in if it's going to be sweet/firm enough or if it is lackluster. 

Both my mom and I LOVE watermelon, and we love to describe the feeling of getting a bad melon as "watermelon-choly". 😖

Like # people like this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

@Bridget , watermelon is my runner up, nothing beats a sweet and juicy watermelon on a hot day, especially after swimming. I'm growing watermelon for the first time and struggling to know when it's ready to pick, have you ever grown it? It sounds like you are a watermelon expert! 

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2020

For me, while ice cream is always a Thing, I do tend to drink a LOT more evil strong iced coffee. With ice cubes made of the same coffee.

I usually make a pot of coffee for coffee cubes to fill a few ice cube trays to have ready. In the morning when I have my normal hot coffee, I make enough to 2/3 fill a couple of large beer steins to put in the fridge and have later on with the aforementioned coffee cubes.

Note: I am not a fan of "cold brew" coffee. There is a reason most pour over nerds (I am not one) fuss over exactly the right HOT water temp to make coffee with. I find that cold brew tastes muddy as compared to brewed hot and then chilled.

Like William Naughton likes this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

This might be the smartest ice-coffee hack I've heard of @Mike Rathwell - when your coffee-ice melts you just get more coffee 🤯 

Is there a particular coffee roaster you like? 

Like Monique vdB likes this

@Loren Siegel  - Lager. You want something crisp. An IPA would be too heavy against the chocolate and would muddy down the taste buds.

Like Loren Siegel likes this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2020

The short answer is... no... I will often visit some of the smaller roasters in the area here to get beans or pick some up somewhere on my travels (when we could still do that). The worst part is that Starbucks ruined a lot of roasting because a) they burn the beans and b) have convinced everyone coffee is supposed to taste burnt so that is what so many do.

If I want really, really good packaged coffee, most Vietnamese coffee is very good and, if one looks for Trung Nguyen, even their most pedestrian blends are rich, full bodied, no trace of burnt bean taste treats. Cheap too.

All that aside, if one avoids the coffee burners and sticks with actual roasters and prepare it well, it will be a satisfying cup of coffee.

Finally, I do also like my coffee as Samuel Clemens liked it, "Sweet as sin and strong as the devil"

Maria P.
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

Ooh, it's hard to choose just one, but I absolutely LOVE a mangonada when it's super hot out! It's essentially a mango smoothie or sorbet, topped with chile-lime salt, chamoy, and fresh mango chunks - so yummy! 🥭

mangonada.jpg

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

I love a mess-free popsicle during the summer. Nothing reminds me of my childhood more than these lil' things. You can catch me on my patio eating one of these with my kiddos during the summer months. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 2.49.56 PM.png

Like # people like this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

@Cassie Mayes this is a CLASSIC! The blue flavor was always a hot commodity in our house. I love it at the end when you've got the sugary juice left. What's your favorite flavor? 

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

Yes! The juice at the end is the best. I like to let it accumulate and drink it at the end. My daughter is the opposite though - she tries to get all of the juice out of it at the beginning so she's usually left with a flavorless ice stick. LOL

Ahhhh, a favorite flavor? That's hard. If I had to choose I'd pick pink! It never disappoints

Julia L.
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

Flavor Ice takes me back to being a kid in the middle of what felt like a never-ending summer break ❤️

eaa7aa2fd68fdcfca92c5dbd60b4b68a.jpg

Like # people like this
Maria P.
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

Yes! It was always the best last-day-of-school treat, too - hello, summertime ☀️

Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

@Maria P_ and @Julia Lockin - SAME! This treat really takes me back! 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

When I was a kid, we used to spend time every summer in Newport Beach, and my favorite thing was a Balboa Bar, vanilla ice cream dipped in chocolate and rolled in sprinkles. The absolute best thing ever. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 12.48.26 PM.png

Like # people like this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

@Monique vdB - how do I get one of these?! I guess I'm driving up to Newport Beach from Austin next weekend 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2020

Also very good from that very same place on the Balboa Fun Zone are the frozen chocolate covered bananas.

Kind of pointless because there are simpler viable options to get there, but it is worth taking the Balboa Ferry to Balboa Island.

Douglas Mark Carter August 26, 2020

We have an ice cream store that hand makes all kinds of Flavors! It's the bestest! ;-) 
Owowcow!

Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

This looks delicious @Douglas Mark Carter - do you have a favorite flavor? 

Douglas Mark Carter August 26, 2020

Death by Chocolate!

Sharon Tan
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

I have been switching between the green tea and strawberry mochi ice cream from Trader Joe's, and watermelon Goodpops depending on if I want something a little chewy or icy! ❄️

64669-green-tea-mochi.jpg

Like # people like this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

Both sound amazing, @Sharon Tan - I'll eat mochi any day of the week! 

Like Mike Rathwell likes this
Johnny O Manns August 26, 2020

Bubble Tea.pngBUBBLE TEA!  Sooooo many options.  

Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 26, 2020

@Johnny O Manns - great suggestion and you're right, there are soooo many options! If I were to go right now I think I'd get a coconut milk tea, with bubbles of course! 

va_belyaev_npff_ru August 26, 2020

I love to eat Adjarian khachapuri for dinner. Bun from Russia with love ❤️

601121_57677-710x550x.jpg

Like Mike Rathwell likes this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
August 27, 2020

This looks delicious @va_belyaev_npff_ru - do you make it from scratch at home or is there a place you like to order it from? 

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2020

During summer I like to drink a smoothie :) As it's so fresh with wild blackberry 

image.png

Like # people like this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
August 27, 2020

I'm not much for sweets, so for me summer is all about fresh mozzarella with home grown tomatoes and basil with some olive oil and sea salt. that's all I need! Stuffed deep fried squash blossoms run a close second!

tomato.png

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2020

I'm all in this mozzarella dream! I can't stop enjoying it the whole summer, especially when it comes to buffalo mozzarella and pink tomatoes (particular type here in Bulgaria).

Like # people like this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
August 28, 2020

Ohhhh I loooove buffalo mozzarella! so hard to find here in the US! 

(Also, fun note, I made that mozzarella myself! from boring cow's milk but hey!)

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2020

Wow, well done, @Mandy Ross I do want to try to make it by myself; it's in my cooking list for sure!

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2020

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 2.29.03 PM.png

Tender Coconut Ice cream!!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2023

I stumbled on this oldie (but goodie!) post for Likes for Trees...

Definitely Yasso bars - especially mint chocolate chip. Yum!

Yasso Mint Chocolate Chip Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars at Costco Review

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events