Welcome Wednesday: What's your favorite food at a large family gathering?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2021

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

via GIPHY

It's Thanksgiving this coming weekend up here in Canada, and I'm really excited as COVID numbers are looking good enough for my wife and son to head over and see my parents and my sister!

My question for everyone this week is:  When you get together for a large family meal, what is your favorite food?

For me, my Dad makes yams/sweet potatoes that have been baked in orange juice and brown sugar, which turns into a glaze.  It ends up looking similar to this:

candied-yams-13-1200.jpg

So, now that I have you thinking about food, I'd love for you to share your favorite in the comments.

Have a great rest of the week!

via GIPHY

8 comments

Comment

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck October 6, 2021

Anything my sister makes, she's got serious skills (compared to me at least :þ). If she's not made anything I usually just seek out the stuff that has the most cheese in it :þ 

@Jimmy Seddon if you like sweet potatoes/yams try them baked with cream and peanut butter. It's mad!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2021

I'll put it on the list of things to try!  Thank you!

Like # people like this
Buddika Hiripitiyage October 6, 2021

Alright, that started the taste buds going ... I'm from Sri Lanka and I've been a fan of "Aapps" (Sinhala terminology), also know as "Hoppers" (no idea why they call it that in English). If anyone wants the recipe go check it out here Aappa (sri Lanka Hoppers) Recipe (grouprecipes.com).

Egg-Hoppers.jpg

this is the "Egg Hopper" ... it's basically a crispy pancake with an egg in the middle. Replace the egg with Honey, fruits .. things can get creative.

have a great Wednesday all :)

/B

Like # people like this
Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck October 6, 2021

That looks so good!

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
October 6, 2021

Dang... this looks like heaven @Buddika Hiripitiyage Thanks for sharing!!
giphy-downsized

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2021

That looks amazing @Buddika Hiripitiyage!  I'm absolutely going to try that!

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
October 6, 2021

I'm so curious about the reasoning that got you behind the idea of making this post because it is very specific, and I like it, lol. 😂🍗🥗

I have three different meals subject to season and occasion:

1. This one is because it brings me to my childhood: It consists in having all sorts of ingredients on the table to allow each person to customize their sandwiches as they please (this also applies for burgers and hot dogs). It's elementary but delightful, and I love the chaos created by everyone looking up for ingredients across the whole table.

2. A couple of dishes I always enjoy in a family gathering would be a tender meat roast with potatoes and carrots or pasta bolognese.
    meat-roast-huwen-arnone.jfif             Spaghetti-Bolognese-huwen-arnone.jpg

3. This one is seasonal: I love to eat hallacas (which is a Christmas Venezuelan typical dish) with chicken salad (ensalada de gallina) and "ham bread" (which is pan de jamón, also traditional from Venezuela in December).
    hallacas_venezolanas-huwen-arnone.jpgensalda de gallina huwen arnone.jpgpan_de_jamon huwen arnone.jpg
                           All pictures are placed following the order in the description. 

Dang, now I'm hungry. It's almost lunchtime over here. Thanks, @Jimmy Seddon 😂

Note: Those sweet potatoes look like a fantastic idea 🤩

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2021

@Huwen Arnone there are two reasons:

1) Because I'm very excited to be able to get together with my parents (COIVD has made that really hard for us)

2) I started to get hungry thinking about the food so I thought I'd share that feeling :)

Funny enough, one of my best friends, his wife is from Venezuela and I have actually had the pan de jamón around Christmas before!

Like # people like this
Buddika Hiripitiyage October 6, 2021

@Huwen Arnone I sooooo luv pasta bolognese and that just gave me an idea for supper, yes it's that time here :D

And who doesn't like sandwiches ... thanks for that! I was hoping I could cut down on some carbs this week. There goes that idea out the window :D

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
October 7, 2021

Haha, and it's a fantastic idea... I'm always up for a good food talk; my first profession was a cook. That would explain it pretty much, @Jimmy Seddon.

And I'm so glad you've had pan de jamón; I must say hallacas are far better. That's one of the advantages of the situation there: We, the Venezuelans, are scattered worldwide, allowing us to spread our culture.

Haha, you can never go wrong with pasta, nor with sandwiches... well, you can always making up by running a couple of kilometers to burn those carbs @Buddika Hiripitiyage  😂😅

PS, you can check this Friday Fun thread regarding workouts from @Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro 💪🏼😎

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro October 7, 2021

Oh my God! Thanks for mentioning my article @Huwen Arnone 😃👏😊✨!

I enjoy it and the question from @Jimmy Seddon too!

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
October 7, 2021

When carbs attack, it's inevitable not thinking about working out. LOL

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2021

For me, it's all about the dessert.  A good bourbon pecan pie caps off a wonderful feast!images.jpeg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2021

Ohh I'm always up for a good pecan pie!

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
October 7, 2021

I think the only Pecan Pie I ever tried was from a Starbucks, I think, and it was delicious; I cannot imagine how delicious it could be homemade.

I don't dare to make it myself just because I suck at cooking desserts.

Like # people like this
Çiğdem Büyükaşik
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 18, 2021

perfect!

Mandy Ross
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 6, 2021

I'm alllll about the carbs and comfort food! Mac n Cheese is my go to. I use Martha Stewart's perfect mac n cheese recipe, but play around a lot with the kind of cheeses I use. I also always add a handful of blue cheese crumbles at the end and stir it around for a little tangy pop! then of course you have to have french's onions on top along with buttered bread crumbs. 

59185289228__029769A3-329B-42E0-BDB6-EE4F18541C87.png 

I also love to bring Hasselback potatoes, they look impressive and are super super yummy! how can you go wrong with potatoes and cheese? 

IMG_0033.png

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
October 7, 2021

God, this looks delicious 😍

Thank you very much for sharing these lovely pictures, @Mandy Ross; I will definitively try to make it, especially the Hasselback potatoes 🤩

Like Mandy Ross likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2021

@Mandy Ross what time should I come over? Both of those look amazing!

Like Mandy Ross likes this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 7, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon @Huwen Arnone  it's supposed to rain this weekend so come on over!! :D

Like # people like this

My favorite food is every meal made for my mom!

She's amazing. But I have to say that I miss her Salmon with passion fruit. I need to ask a favor from her,... cook it for me, please!

Oh God, I'm hungry, and here is steal 10:00 am. 

But ok, I need to focus on my healthy life as @Huwen Arnone - remembered my article. 

Have a nice and wonderful day, Community! ❤️

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
October 7, 2021

Salmon with passion fruit. I need to try that 🤩👌

I'm like:

giphy

Like # people like this

Yes, hehehe! @Huwen Arnone You have to; it's unbelievably tasty! 😁 👌 

Here is a picture to you have an idea! 🤩

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.05.39.png

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2021

Yeah that looks really tasty!

Like # people like this

I know, right! 🤩🤩

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2021

That looks incredible!  Who's hungry? 

Like # people like this

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ 😁😁😁

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
October 7, 2021

Oh, c'moon! Hahaha, this is torture, it looks incredible, and I cannot eat it 😅 Thanks for sharing, Patricia 💪🏼

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro October 8, 2021

Hahaha, sorry for this torture! 😅

Anytime, 💪 🤩 😁 !

Have a nice day! 

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2021

Sorry I got a little late to catch up on this post, @Jimmy Seddon !

Wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration.

Coming to the discussion, for me I am always on for "Tandoori Chicken", "Paneer Tikka" as appetizers, and hot "Gulab Jamun" as a dessert in any large family gathering.

Just a few pics below to give you some idea of how these food items look like:

tandoori-chicken-featured-2021.jpgpaneer-tikka.jpg63799510.jpeg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2021

That looks wonderful!  Thanks for sharing!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events