Welcome Wednesday: What's the one food you would + could eat for the rest of your life?

Kate C_
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 15, 2020

Hi there! Kate here, working from Sydney, Australia where it’s Wednesday morning! I'm on Atlassian’s Social Media Care team, and today I wanna welcome you to the Atlassian Community by asking you to answer something me and my belly ponder, often: if you had to choose only one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?

If you’re like me, switching to working remotely and spending more (hello, all) time at home has meant my snack schedule has changed: I’m constantly thinking about what to eat next, taking trips to the fridge, hoping the fridge fairies 🧚 have delivered something delicious.

homeemptyfridge.jpg

So why not continue with food on the brain and ask our Community to choose just one type of food to eat forever! I came to my choice quite easily: I would choose pasta - savoury, hearty and totally customizable to your mood and the ingredients you have on hand!

So, what about you? What would you pick, and do you think you’d tire of it? If you’re tagged in the comments, or just have big opinions on favourite foods, please chime in!

12 comments

Comment

wjbrutzy September 15, 2020

Cheese _ I learned that I would live decades longer by doing Keto.  It is counter-intuitive that eating fat _ makes a person thin.   Annette Bosworth MD is an outstanding online resource who makes sense of how food works _ especially the non-linearity aspect.  I am happy about the 20 lbs I lost.

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 15, 2020

Cheese is a solid choice! Would you have cheese on its own, or do you need the various accoutrements of a cheese board to keep things interesting?

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Uwe Kath September 15, 2020

Something very local to southern germany: The swabian ravioli. It can be used in a variety of ways, and all of them are great.

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 15, 2020

I've never tried but that sounds delicious! I'm counting this dish as something I get to have, as it's under the umbrella of 'pasta'. 😉

Like # people like this
Niklas Kluger September 16, 2020

Definitely supporting the cheese choice!! I insist on a choice of all fresh cheeses though and I'd add french baguette, salty butter and a glass of red wine....never getting tired of this.

Like # people like this
Douglas Mark Carter September 16, 2020

I'm with you there on your basket of goodies, but in this case, you have to choose one... I'd still say cheese, smile!

Kate C_
Community Manager
September 16, 2020

Love this little grouping, @Niklas Kluger . @Douglas Mark Carter which type of cheese would it be? There are so many good ones!

Douglas Mark Carter September 17, 2020

Like I said in my post, Irish Cheddar or Aged Gouda, but then there's .......infinity

Like # people like this
Chip Morris September 15, 2020

This question came up at work recently and here's how I responded. 

I have been alive for roughly 22,000 days. During that time, I have had peanut butter and jelly for lunch about 15,000 times, give or take a thousand. It started off as crunchy peanut butter and grape jelly on Roman Meal bread because my mom thought the guy who did their commercials was handsome. Over the years, the bread has changed (always whole wheat, never white) and in the last five years or so I’ve added strawberry jelly to the mix, but the peanut butter has always stayed the same. Crunchy. (I’m not brand-particular with my peanut butter or jelly, just as long as they aren’t from some johnny-come-lately company.)

Today when I made my sandwich, much to my horror, I only saw creamy peanut butter in the cabinet. (Creamy PB is great on pancakes.) I had no choice but to put it on my sandwich. As someone who has had 15,000 PB&J sandwiches for lunch, I’ve only got one word to describe today’s mid-day meal: yuch! I’ll be making a store run sometime before lunch tomorrow.

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 15, 2020

Wow, I love how much you've thought about this! 

Also, I didn't realise the small differences that could be made to tweak the PB&J experience. In Australia, we have a debate of Crunchy vs. Smooth peanut butter (which I guess smooth = creamy). Have you ever tried it with peanut butter with peanut crunches in it? I'm guessing it would drastically change the experience.

Bertus Viljoen September 15, 2020

I like to make a sandwich with just a thick layer of crunchy peanut butter on a wholemeal bread before I go out kite surfing.  Sometimes add some honey as well.  

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 15, 2020

Honey + PB definitely deserves more praise in the world! Great snack.

Like # people like this
StephanieC September 15, 2020

Probably Avocados. Wait, is is a single food, or an entire meal? 

If its a meal it would be a salad with organic greens, avocado, diced cucumber, Kerrygold sharp cheddar, organic boiled egg, sunflower seeds and maybe some wild-caught smoked salmon. YUM. Now I want one - thanks ... 

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 15, 2020

You could choose a single item - I went with a meal because it was kind of cheating (pasta can be made a bunch of different ways, to keep things interesting). 😏

Ahh, that salad sounds divine, though! Can you eat salmon salad for breakfast (asking for a friend)..? 

StephanieC September 15, 2020

Absolutely... any time of day :-)

Like # people like this

I think it would have to be the humble potato.  You can use it in so many different ways boil, fry, bake, as a salad, in a pie, etc, etc.  Then there are so many different varieties as well.  Wait I'll be back in a while .....

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 15, 2020

Bertus this is a smart choice. I think if I was to pick a single food item the potato would be it, as well.

What would be your favourite potato-based meal, if you had to pick? I think I could eat the humble fry/hot chip forever...

Like # people like this

While I do love fries and oven baked wedges, my favorite is a good potato salad.  I love how it's good freshly made but you can come back to it in a few hours for "seconds" (who an I kidding?) and the richness increased even more.

Like # people like this
Lauren Allen September 15, 2020

My initial thought was definitely the potato.  By far my fave.  BUT, without any of the other things added to make it so tasty, it would just not be the same!  So if I can't use oil, butter, herbs, cheese, bacon, sour cream, or the myriad other things that make a potato so delicious I think I would have to change my answer and it becomes a whole lot more difficult!

Properly done roast potatoes for sure is my fave potato dish though.

Like # people like this

Mum used to make a Sunday roast with potatoes on the side.  Crunchy outer layer with herbs, spices and salt.  Soft inside.  A bit of wine in the sauce and the smell of roasted garlic.  Mmmm, you've made me nostalgic.

Like # people like this

I once did a christmas dinner for myself that consisted solely of potato dishes.   Potato Gratin, Mashed Potatoes (with, seeded mustard, sour cream, chees and bacon bits), and the main event of classic Roast Potatoes that were covered in herbs (rosemary, garlic, salt), crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy in the middle.  Hands down the best Christmas meal ever!  Now I think I might have to do roast potatoes for dinner tonight!  :)

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 15, 2020

Ooh potato salad and properly done roast potatoes are excellent! I think we can bend the question a bit to include the potato additions. Sunday roasts FTW!

The trick (I've heard) to make extra crunchy roast potatoes is to make sure the potatoes are totally dry after being boiled and drained, before you put them in the oven. #hottip

Like # people like this

Absolutely right!  Boiling first to make sure they are cooked through is a must!  And for extra flavour, cooking in duck fat is another #hottip :)

Like Bertus Viljoen likes this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 15, 2020

...Currently searching for a Sydney pub that does a roast lunch on a Wednesday...

Like # people like this

haha, if you find one let me know!  I'll meet you there!  :D

Like # people like this

We all eat at Lauren's tonight.......

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 17, 2020

Potatoes are so versatile and as we all learned from The Martian, can keep you alive in space! Good choice.

Like # people like this
Troy Dyer September 15, 2020

The humble banana goes for me!

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 15, 2020

Excellent! Most probably the healthiest choice so far.

A quick googling (which we know means absolute truth 😳) tells me eating 1-2 bananas per day is good for you.

How long do you think it'd be before you find yourself desperate to eat something else? Or do you think you'd never tire of them?

Like # people like this

Nature's sweet!  With a wrapping and all.  

Like # people like this
Troy Dyer September 16, 2020

@Kate C_ 

LOL :)  I'm sure it wouldn't be long before I'm desperate to eat something else!

Like # people like this
Leah Bartell September 16, 2020

Is mixing the banana with something against the rules? if you're allowed to add a little flour or oats you could stave off boredom for a pretty long time....

Like # people like this

@Leah Bartell Yes, I guess adding a little something would stave off boredom.

I was also thinking: sliced banana between slices of bread = banana sandwich!

Kate C_
Community Manager
September 16, 2020

@Troy Dyer @Leah Bartell these are good ideas. Banana sandwich FTW! Plus you could add honey, eh @Bertus Viljoen ?

Like # people like this
Bertus Viljoen September 16, 2020

Looks delicious.  I just took a bunch of bananas from the tree.  I'm going to try this.  Thanks @Leah Bartell 

Kate C_
Community Manager
September 16, 2020

Wow, these look amazing, thanks for sharing @Leah Bartell !

Douglas Mark Carter September 16, 2020

There is no way I could eat just one thing for the rest of my life, I'd fell like an advanced Senior on an Ensure diet! But, if I had to pick...hmmm I guess Irish Cheddar Cheese... or Aged Gouda... or ...forget it.. can't choose ;-)

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 16, 2020

Haha @Douglas Mark Carter it's a harder question than you first think for sure! We could all be like Wallace from Wallace & Gromit! A cheddar or aged gouda is a good plan.

cheese.gif

Like # people like this
Thomas Borzecki September 16, 2020

I would have to say eggs- they're nutritionally rich, with lipids, carbs and protein and can be made into lots and lots of different dishes.

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 16, 2020

@Thomas Borzecki Ooh good plan. And definitely more nutritious than pasta! What's your favourite way to have your eggs? I like mine poached on English muffins with spinach!

Like # people like this
Leah Bartell September 16, 2020

Assuming nutrients and calories no longer count, cake. All of the cake. :homer-drool:

Like # people like this

I can't think of anyone not liking cake.

Cake, I'm sure, would rise to the top of the popularity list.

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 16, 2020

Yeah who doesn't like cake! Plus, it could be like you're celebrating something/someone at every meal - how fun is that?!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 16, 2020

I was just reading about the Ancient Romans (as you do) and how bread was a staple of their diet. I think that might be a good choice because it can be sweet (cinnamon bread, banana bread, French toast) or savory (olive bread, cheese rolls, garlic bread) and there's a lot of variety. Plus, it's bread! 

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 16, 2020

This checks out 👍 I could go for olive bread right now..!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2020

I would have to say Gordon Ramsay's scrambled eggs. I will never make them any other way again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Like # people like this
Kate C_
Community Manager
September 16, 2020

Ooh filing this one away in my food Trello board, thanks for sharing, @Davin Studer !

Like # people like this
Vera du Preez September 18, 2020

Does Coffee count as a foodgroup?

Like # people like this
Leah Bartell September 18, 2020

I vote yes. Coffee is life.

Kate C_
Community Manager
September 20, 2020
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events