Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome Wednesday: What are you planning for your garden this year?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2022

Hello Everyone!

Ok Green thumbs, have you been putting any thought into your gardens yet this year? Where I live we are still sitting under 2-3 feet of snow. However, even though it won't be warm enough to plant as soon as the snow melts everyone will be out buying up all the starter plants, seed and other gardening items.

This year I'm thinking a bit ahead and I'm looking to get the seed early and I may start some of the longer term plants indoors first.

So my question for you this week, What are you planning to do with your garden? It could be flowers, vegetables, landscaping, etc.

As some of you may be aware, I only enjoy growing plants I can eat. In my opinion, there is nothing more satisfying in the middle of the summer months than making a side salad that consists only of items grown in the garden.

To that end, here is what I'm thinking about for this year:

• Romaine Lettuce (My wife and I tried it last year and had really good success with it)
  • Beefsteak Tomatoes (Last year I tried cherry tomatoes and it didn't go well, but my beefsteak ones always have in the past)
  • Green Onion (This will be new this year, I like the flavour so I thought it's worth a try)
  • Radishes, Carrots, Cucumber (These are my staples. They always work out well!)

Ok, you've heard what my plans are for this year's salad. How about you? Let me know in the comments below!

Have a great rest of the week!

4 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2022

We've had limited success growing fresh vegetables in our garden. There seems to be some sort of fungus in the soil that affects most vegetables,

But, flowers on the other hand have bloomed beautifully in our front yard where we have great late morning and afternoon sunlight exposure. My wife always plans the garden before Mother's Day, spends Mother's Day at the nursery picking out the flowers for the season, and spends that week planting and cultivating with our younger children. 

I never was bitten by the green thumb bug, but my wife has two to make up for my missing one!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2022

That's sounds like an easy and awesome way to spend Mother's day weekend!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2022

I'd like to actually start a garden this year.  I'm thinking tomatoes might be a good start or strawberries. Every previous year that I've attempted a garden I just wasn't able to give it my full attention.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2022

Yes!  Regular attention is key to your garden being successful.  From what I have seen in the past, if you want something that you have to intentionally try to kill before it will die try Mint.  Though be careful with it as it can over take everything else.

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon That's really a nice topic since I love plants & trees.

But since I do not yet own a house (and thereby my own garden), I have never been into gardening before. But my wife has some experience into gardening before marriage that might come handy when I have my own garden.

So, even though I cannot contribute much to this post, I am keeping my eyes open to read and learn a few gardening tips & tricks from other gardening experts here!

Have a great Wednesday and rest of the week, everyone!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2022

@Taranjeet Singh as a thought, if you have a balcony, before my wife and I had a house we did a bunch of planting with boxes and planters (yes I managed to grow a few corn stalks in a planter, just because I could).

Something to thing about ;)

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2022

That's a great idea, @Jimmy Seddon ! I will see what I can do in this regard when I get some time for it.

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2022

For the first time, I have the opportunity to grow a real garden and not starve my plants because of the lack of sunshine. We moved to a new apartment with a bigger and lighter balcony, and I am excited to try spring and summer plants, herbs and even cherry tomatoes! 

I'm very into creating a natural wall of little pine trees to help freshen the air a bit and look cosier in the winter. 

We'll see how it goes! It's still cold outside, but I'm already planning my next green steps :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events