Welcome Wednesday: Share Your Most Recent Accomplishment!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2022

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

I know I did one of these some time ago.  But, I love these types of posts so we're bringing it back!  It's a very simple question this week: "Please share with the group a personal or professional accomplishment that made you feel awesome!"

I'll get things started!  My team recently updated our intake process for new Jira requests so that we would be able to receive more requirements/information upfront.

This has provided two benefits, first, it has reduced the amount of back and forth with the requestor.  Second, I'm able to provide more accurate estimates on how long it will take to complete the change.  I have just finished my second new project build, but of them have been completed ahead of schedule, and I did not need to ask for clarification on any of the requirements.  I'm super pleased that this intake appears to be working the way we had hoped it would!

Alright, it's your turn now!  Let's me know what you are proud of this week!

I hope the rest of your week continues to be amazing!

11 comments

Comment

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2022
Like Samuel Spain likes this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2022

Welcome to all the new folks on the Atlassian community 

Aylin May 11, 2022

Thanks!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Kasper Ell May 11, 2022

Thanks for the welcome!

I am a new admin of Jira. And so far i am impressed about the possibilities.

So far my biggest accomplishment is that i have automated a change management process with both Jira software and service management.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

That's awesome!  Way to start off on the right foot!

Sue Wilson May 11, 2022

I started with my current organization about 3 months ago.  One of my first tasks was to audit the users in JIRA Software, JIRA Service Desk, and Confluence to 'clean up' those who do not use or should not have access to these products.  Being new to JSD, it took a bit of time to understand the special groups/roles automatically associated with this product and what access is provided to each and at what cost.  Once I realized that the entire organization did NOT need to be a user (vs portal only, customer or read only), I was able to remove quite a list of unnecessary users.  Between that and a secondary task of auditing the paid add-ons in/not in use, I was able to reduce the company's costs by ~ $1000/month.  Huge win for me and the organization!!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

Great work @swilson!  Way to provide huge value to your company!

Marc Dvorschak May 11, 2022

My biggest accomplishment at work this week: I successfully onboarded my new colleague. She is already implementing the first Jira ticket in our system. 💪🏼

But to be fair: It was easy. She has very profound knowledge about the technology we are working with, and she is really nice and open. A real win for our team! 🤩

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

Congrats @Marc Dvorschak!  I'm looking for a new colleague myself.  I'm glad you have found someone that is going to work out well for you!

Marc Dvorschak May 12, 2022

Thank you very much! I hope you'll find someone for your team soon too.

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon Thank you for another interesting "Welcome Wednesday" post!

I would like to share that I consider as both personal and professional. 

I have recently completed 3 years as an Atlassian Community Leader and I really feel great to be a part of the Atlassian Community and having so many wonderful community colleagues from whom I get to learn a lot. I am really feeling great about this recent accomplishment.

Below is the Community Leader pin (in addition to a Duffel bag) that I got as a perk for completing 3 years:

3-years-as-Atlassian-Community-Leader.jpg

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

Congrats @Taranjeet Singh 

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

HUGE congratulations @Taranjeet Singh!  I'm not far behind you in the three year anniversary.  Thank you for everything you have done to help make the Online Community a welcoming place over the past three years!

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2022

Thank you @Jimmy Seddon and @Summer_Hogan !

Like # people like this
Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck May 11, 2022

I have recently finished my doctoral thesis. All 500 pages of it. It is currently being proof read before being formally accepted for defence. I've just been doing the same stuff as before (while it was being reviewed) and it feels a little anti climactic. Though I suppose I will feel the accomplishment when I've finished the defence and I am dead proud of it. :)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

Congratulations @Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck!  I have never written or defended a thesis, but I'm sure you are going to do amazing and will be able to report back with great news!

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck May 12, 2022

Thank you @Jimmy Seddon ! I'm not thinking about the defence yet. Except whether I should buy new shoes or not 😂 I kind of think that kind of thing requires new shoes. 😋 Something flashy like...

batz_001.png

Like # people like this
James Finlinson May 11, 2022

Two weeks ago, I released a new version of my software with some significant features. Then, I hit the grind and released another new version last week. We're going hard!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

Great work @James Finlinson!

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

I learned a ton of info for SAFe Agile this week in preparation for our transformation! I really think SAFe is going to work for my organization! And now, I'm off on a week's vacation to Hawaii! 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

Congrats @Summer_Hogan!  SAFe is not one of those things I have learned much about yet.  Enjoy Hawaii!

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2022

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon 

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro May 12, 2022

Hi @Jimmy Seddon 😃

I'm pretty late, but I would like to share that a professional accomplishment was the SAFe exam. And the personal thing is that at work or in my personal life, I have a reputation "where Patty touches everything works," LOL. It's nice to have this reputation, but I always emphasize that "where our heart is, all the magic happens."
We all are good at something! 🥳🤗🙏🏽❤️

Have a lovely day, Buddy!

Thanks for posting it!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2022

Congratulations!  Also, I know the feeling of "Hey, can you help us fix this problem?".  Then I walk over and magically it's fixed!

Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro May 12, 2022

Thanks, Buddy! So, you know it! Your words describe what happens. And I love to help. 😃🤩

Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon 

Could you elaborate what exactly you changed in your intake process?

You also mentioned about estimation. Is there any specific methodology that you follow?

These are the challenges that i am trying to address with my team. It will great to hear more from you on these points.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2022

Sure thing @Vishal Biyani

Really what we looked at was what things are we constantly going back and forth asking for after the initial request, and started asking for more of that information up front.

For example, if someone asked us to build a new Jira project.  One of the first things we need to know is, are we using existing issue types and their workflows copied from another project? Or do we need to build an completely new process flow, and that leads into even more questions which we can/are asking for up front.

As far as estimation goes, my team runs Kanban style, so unfortunately estimation is a "gut feeling" on how long something will take.  I've been a Jira Admin for about 10 years so if I have all the information up front about what is required to build a new project, I have a pretty good idea about how long it will take me to complete it.

That's really what we changed.

I hope that helps!

Like Vishal Biyani likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events