Welcome Wednesday: Is AI & Machine Learning Creepy?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

In the past I found it very creepy that I would be searching for something on Google, then a few seconds later I'd be on Facebook wishing someone a Happy Birthday and I'd see an advertisement for something I was just looking at.

However, recently I have been very impressed with a number of streaming services and the fact that as long as I'm attaching accurate ratings to the things I watch, I'm getting very good results on recommendations for shows/movies that the platform believes I will enjoy based on what I have said I like and dislike.  A number of these that I have really enjoyed I never would have found in the vast library of things to watch without these recommendations and thus would have missed out on something I really enjoyed.

So my question for everyone this week, What are your thoughts and opinions on AI & Machine learning?  Are we as humans exploring something that will eventually be our new overlords as depicted in so many sci-fi films? Or have we found yet another way to use technology to help everyone?

I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

Have a great rest of the week!

8 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022
User September 21, 2022

@Jimmy SeddonThanks Jimmy.  I only joined the Community to add my voice to the list of users who hate the changes to Trello labels.  By making it "more accessible" to a minority of users you made it less usable for the majority of us.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

I think by choosing to speak up you have done the best thing you can in hopes that Atlassian will listen and make a change that will better support your use case.

Cam Lloyd September 26, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon. Me too, I only joined the community to give feedback with the all the other users about the new labels. Not happy about the new changes, but glad I have joined the trello community.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Harjit Samra October 6, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon @Cam Lloyd 

Me too - I only joined to voice my disapproval of the Trello label changes. Hopefully, it's not a big scam to get users on the Atlassian forums..

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

You've described one of the two biggest reasons I don't want to have an Echo or Amazon Hub device.  The second is I know my daughter will repeatedly ask it to play songs like "I'm a Banana" (Onision).

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

HAHA!  That is a very good point @Rob Horan!  I do not own an Echo or a Hub and I don't have any plans to get one.

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Ebe September 21, 2022

It is good to learn AI & Machine learning, just as long they are within control. But as experienced, they can be misused and exploited. Question on invasion of privacy is another matter. IMO.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

Very good point @Ebe!  It's unfortunate that with every good thing, there are people looking to exploit it for "other" means.

Ebe September 21, 2022

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon . 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

I have to admit that it's a little creepy for me. No matter how hard they try, I don't think they will be able to control the proper use of it. It could be a tremendous help, but also an even worse nightmare. 

Like # people like this
Joseph Hall September 21, 2022

I say bring it on. Humans are irrational, and can not be trusted just look at our politicians.

User September 21, 2022

@Joseph Hall 

AI is also irrational and can't always be trusted.

"These robots were trained on AI. They became racist and sexist.

As billions flow into robotics, researchers who conducted the study are concerned about the effects this might have on society"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/07/16/racist-robots-ai/ 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

Oh great, now we need to worry about the Proud Bots?

Joseph Hall September 21, 2022

Haha Too Funny!!! 

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

I think it has it's purposes, but there has to be controls in place to prevent it from harming us. I agree @Jimmy Seddon that the recommendations on the streaming services are very useful! I also like how hotel apps recommend hotels to you based on your past reservations. There are so many options for hotels out there that I would have missed some good ones without the recommendations!

I am with @Rob Horan on the home devices as well! Those scare me and I have no interest in them! They even look creepy to me! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

AI - oh heck yes.  Not just creepy, but downright terrifying.

Machine learning, not really.  I think it can, and will, look creepy, but I don't think "expert systems", no matter how well they learn, will be.

I think "creepy" implies sentience behind it.  An expert system doesn't have that.  A proper AI does.

I'm <mumble> years old and started reading SF at quite a young age having a basic grasp of the three laws of robotics and why it's important to know where your towel is (still haven't worked out what the pain in all the diodes down my left side though) well before I made it to secondary school 

I grew up on a diet of SF that had robots in it.  I mean, being English, you get taught a lot of Shakespeare at school, and that has a robot in it, and, well, "The Doctor".  But stuff like Blake's 7 (contrast Zen, a google assistant, with Orac, who was sentient could read the entire internet encrypted or not), 'droids in all sorts of films and so-on.

But it was when my dad took me to see Star Wars: A New Hope one week, and then 2001: A Space Odyssey the next that started me worrying about it. 

HAL-9000  saying "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that" is such a creepy line. 

I think the first bit of it loses something in translation into any other language (including American, Australian and Canadian English), but the distinction between "I can't", "I won't", "I don't want to", and all the other things HAL could have said there is very telling about how we think about AI.

Then I stumbled into a bookshop that had Gibson's new "Neuromancer" book in the SF section that was next to the comics I was looking for (ABC Warriors), and I wandered off with two books that told me that the future of AI is seriously "creepy".

It's not got creepy as fast as I expected, but we're on that path.

Like # people like this
Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon though  AI & Machine learning is great , but i always believe human intelligence was and will always be above all of them.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events