Welcome Wednesday: Ask Me Anything with Larry Brock!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2021

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

Back by popular demand, we are putting another Community Leader in the "Hot Seat"!

This week @LarryBrock  has volunteered to answer all of your questions. 

TF60XJPDK-UFPT4102G-f22f1e8d9f0a-512.png

Remember no question is off limits!

I'll get things started: Larry, I know you live in Texas (near or in Austin if I remember correctly).  What is something unique that Texans do as a part of celebrating the holiday season?

Have a great rest of the week everyone!

7 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2021

Hey @LarryBrock  - Can you explain the phrase "Bless Your Heart" to the non-Texans?

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

Nice one @John Funk !  I wouuldn't say Bless your heart is a Texas term but we do borrow it from the "southern" US vocabulary.  I think the Urban Dictionary definition fit's it pretty well.  Let's just say it is not a compliment. ;-)

Like # people like this
Kerri Shirey December 8, 2021

What is the best way to remove issues that have been deleted in Jira after they've been synced using the Jira to Smartsheet connector?

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

I'm curious about this too, as someone who's used the Smartsheet for Jira Connector way too many times.

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

Just to clarify @Kerri Shirey and @Dave Liao - the question is about removing the Smartsheet entry when the Jira issue no longer exists, correct?

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

That's what I assume Kerri was asking ⚡

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

I'm not a Smartsheet expert but I did post this question to a Slack channel at my company and a colleague pointed to this knowledgebase article which appears to address your question.

How to Use "Filtered Out by Connector—Not Synced" 

Hope this helps!

~~Larry

Kerri Shirey December 9, 2021

Yes, that's exactly what I was asking @LarryBrock and @DaveLiao.  I understand the best practice but unfortunately, all the issues filtered out are because they're deleted in the source application, Jira.  So I'm kinda stuck figuring out how to exclude them.  Thanks for following up. 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

@Larry Brock _Praecipio Consulting_ - Larry, I know you've spent time at Samsung. What's your favorite piece of Samsung tech that you currently (or have previously) owned? ⚡

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

That'd be my Samsung combo VHS and DVD player!

VHS-tapes.jpeg

Ok, seriously - I really enjoyed the Note 5 we got as a gift when they first came out! (First product that had one of our chip designs in it.)

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

@LarryBrock - Yes! 🤘

I miss my VHS player sometimes, and I miss my Betamax player more...

Like LarryBrock likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon - great question in the original post!  Here's a few:

The most unique is probably making and/or eating Tex-Mex food as part of celebrating the holidays.  Many extended families will make tamales as a family project and then share them among the members and (lucky) friends.

Snow-skiing behind a moving vehicle is a great past time out in western Texas where it's REALLY flat.  I'm told this happens in other flat places too. :-)

Much of the state has mild to warm winter so warm-weather holiday clothing like my Santa Hawaiian shirt are also quite popular.

IMG_5015.JPG

Myth-buster:  We do not sit in a deer blind waiting for a shot at Santa's reindeer. :-P

Cheers!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

Love it!  Thanks for providing this very detailed answer @LarryBrock!

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2021

Sorry, I am late to this post!

I don't have a question for @LarryBrock .

But, it's really great to see another Community Leader taking the hot seat and sharing their knowledge and experiences via answering the wonderful questions from the Community members.

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2021

Thank you @Taranjeet Singh - appreciate the kind words!

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2021

I'm curious, where do you stand in Jira vs Confluence battle. What's your favorite? 😁 I always have a feeling that people lean more towards one than the other...

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2021

That's a really tough one @Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_ .  I guess it's a tie for me as I really like each for it's intended purpose and I've been around long enough to have seen each one used well and misused terribly. 😁

~~Larry

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2021

@LarryBrock - you are amazaballz. A living legend. The kind of person I wish was my father... #ParentalIssues
If we could go back in time, would you adopt me??? 🙏

Like Erica Moss likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events