Tuesday tips & tricks: How to add personality to your posts with emoji, gifs and memes

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2018

Who doesn’t love a good Tuesday tip on a Wednesday? (Apologies for the delay!) This time, I wanted to share some best practices on a topic I care deeply about: adding flair to your posts here on the Community.

It can be challenging to decipher a person’s tone in an online setting, so things like emoji and gifs can help further illustrate a point. Here’s how to start making your posts a little more personable:

Emoji: If you’re on a Mac, hit Control + Command + Space bar in the text box where you want to add the emoji. Voila! You’ve got all of them at your fingertips. On a PC, click on the touch keyboard symbol on the taskbar or right click on the taskbar and select Toolbars > Touch Keyboard. Then click the smiley face. 😎

Gifs: Whether you pronounce the word like the peanut butter brand, or the proper way with the hard G, these animations are a great way to articulate an emotion. Giphy is a great repository for them (just type the emotion you’re trying to convey in the search bar the top), or you can do a quick Google Image search (example: “excited gif”). Eventually, you start to develop an encyclopedic knowledge of your faves, and can use super specific search terms like “you got it dude gif” to access them faster.

To include them in your post on the Community, simply copy the gif’s URL (example: https://media.giphy.com/media/l41lZxzroU33typuU/giphy.gif), click the Insert Photos button above the text box, click URL, paste it and click Insert.

giphy

Memes: Pronounced like “meem,” these images and videos represent a concept or catchphrase, often with a viral effect on sites like Reddit and Twitter. Sites like Know Your Meme keep a record of the super popular as well as the obscure.

Some classic memes that have withstood the test of time include the Pun Husky:

pun husky.jpg

Grumpy Cat

gumpy cat.jpg

Evil Kermit

evil kermit words.png

… and many, many more.

Add your own text to the photos with sites like Meme Generator, and insert them like you would a photo into your post.

I hope you’re having 34% more fun already. Share your favorite gif or meme in the comments below!

6 comments

Comment

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2018

You had my like when you pronounced "Gif" the only right way! 😂

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2018

@Max Foerster - K15t Ugh, that makes me so happy!

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2018

michael.gif

The GIF creator himself said it here:

And, in a flash, it all became clear:"It's pronounced JIF, not GIF."

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2018
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 27, 2018

Jif is a brand of cleaner here. 

Jif-990x557_tcm1265-511289_w400

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2018

If you ask an American to pick up some Jif at the supermarket, you'll get something very different! Both are creamy though, food for thought... Let them return to their battle of pronunciation 🤣

Jif-Creamy-Butter

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2018

@Kat Warner I learned something new today. 😄

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2018

Simple stuff, but often overlooked.

Thanks for the tips

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2018
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2018

Just learned something new with that URL posting feature! Thanks for helping out us olds @Erica Moss

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2018

@carolyn french Ha! Here for you, always. 🙌🏼

Carol Jones October 2, 2018

Holy cow, you just opened a whole new world for me with the Control + Command + Space bar.  This is awesome, thank you!!!

Alison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2020

Gifs and emojis definitely make posts better - thanks for sharing these tips and tricks! (and reiterating it's a hard G in gif!)

giphy

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2020

Erica, I can't get a GIF to "stick". I tried yesterday and got a confirmation from another member that they couldn't post one either. We assumed it was a technical glitch and that it would get fixed. I tried again today and it still isn't working. Do you know what's up on Atlassian's end?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 13, 2020

@Danno did you add some text along with the gif? Unfortunately there's a bug in discussion posts where you can't post a standalone image.

The other possibility is that it was too big. I want to say 2MB is the max size?

Like Danno likes this
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Thanks Monique. The need to add text was the issue. I apologize if I gave Erica credit for that tip elsewhere. But that said at least two newer-ish members of the community learned something new.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events