Hello from a new-to-Confluence Tech Writer

Laura Schneider September 5, 2019

Greetings, Atlassian folks! I'm a technical writer (20+ years) new to using Confluence as a content dev tool, though I've used it as a source of SME content for many years. I'm looking for other tech writers who are using Confluence as both a source-of-record for content management and as the primary development location for tech pubs content. I will be outputting end-user API/SDK/programming manuals directly to PDF. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I begin this process. Cheers from Minnesota! --Laura

3 comments

Comment

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 5, 2019

Hey @Laura Schneider

I've been tech writing in Confluence for several years, and now I'm part of the K15t team. We make apps specifically for tech writers working in Confluence.

The first thought that popped into my head was Rock the Docs. I worked with some other tech writers who work in Confluence to make this guide to documentation in Confluence. It's also written in Confluence. You may find some handy resources here: https://www.k15t.com/rock-the-docs
(given your experience, I'd love to know what you would add. 🙂)

Additionally,  you should check out the #confluence channel on the Write the Docs Slack. There are lots of tech writers interacting on there daily: https://www.writethedocs.org/slack/

Also, I've focused mainly on user documentation in my time, so API docs in Confluence are a new realm to me. That said, you're not the first to want to use Confluence for this, and I'd love to know what you're looking to do. Please feel free to reach out: mreiner@k15t.com.

Cheers from New York! Matt

Like Shannon Meehan _K15t_ likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2019

@Laura Schneider We're so glad you're here, Laura! Be sure to check out the Confluence collection, as well as some off-topic threads like Friday Fun.

giphy

Like Matt Reiner _K15t_ likes this
Rick Lehtinen March 5, 2021

Greetings, Atlassian People! I'm a technical writer (20+ years) with a little bit of experience with these great products, gathered when I was embedded in the DevOps team for IO Data Centers (now Iron Mountain) here in Phoenix. I am experienced with ServiceNow, but I see increased calls for Confluence and Jira in job descriptions, and I want to be on the bus. Would love a few QuickStart tips as my most recent contract is ended, and I am ramping up the "next gig hunt", and using the interim for upskilling.
I started writing about technology at Broadcast Engineering magazine (5- years), then moved into semiconductors, then IT. Cisco Networking Academy was a wonderful gig, and I wrote courseware and then did train-the-trainer work. I was working up some exam questions when I was invited to document a new Cisco product, and I have done product guides, user manuals, SOPs, and policy and procedure documents ever since.
Current passion: I am back in night school soaking up math to become familiar with Data Science, ML, and AI. Also in a training program called Quibit-by-Quibit offered by IBM / Code School.
Current Hobbies:  Organic Gardening and playing the tuba. 

Thank You!

Cheers,

Rick Lehtinen

Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 8, 2021

Hi @Rick Lehtinen

Great to have you here! If you're looking specifically into tech writing in Confluence, I'd recommend checking out Rock the Docs, ad mentioned above, and also the #confluence channel in the WTD Slack. Both are fantastic resources.

Also, organic gardening, fantastic! I've been learning more about it for the last few years. We're entering year four now, and it's been amazing to see how using composting and other techniques, we've transformed the soil in our garden. It's amazing to see nature at work.🦋

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events