Confluence and Visio - Friends or Foe?

Joanne Penwell November 6, 2019

I'm new to Confluence, but am liking it so far.   Joined this group to learn as I'm attempting to upload visio files within Confluence so they are editable, but so far, no luck.  Any suggestions?

5 comments

Comment

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

Hi @Joanne Penwell ,

You'll probably have an easier and better (and more collaborative) experience creating diagrams with one of the macros made specifically for Confluence.

Check out the apps in the Atlassian Marketplace to see if there's something that meets your needs: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/categories/charts-diagrams

Laura

Like # people like this
Joanne Penwell November 6, 2019

Thanks Laura.  Visio is the tool used accross the organization for all diagraming, so a Visio solution is what I'm seeking if we are to continue with Confuence.  

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Ana Bolanos November 7, 2019

Hello @Joanne Penwell ,

I used to add the Visio as an image, and add the original as an attachment. Alternatively, you can place it in a shared folder. Make sure you keep the original copy that cannot be edited. ;)

Like you, I prefer to use Visio. I don't find that the Confluence macros are robust enough to satisfy my requirements. 

Good luck!

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2019

The two major graphing addons (draw.io and Gliffy) both have functions to export and import from Visio.

You are never going to be able to edit visio diagrams in confluence directly. It will always have to be a download-edit-upload process.

However the Atlassian Companion  that comes with confluence can make that process a little simpler, using a helper application installed on the users PC to do the work in the background.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/edit-files-170494553.html

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2019

Welcome to the community @Joanne Penwell !

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2019

@Joanne Penwell Welcome to the Community, Joanne! Sounds like you're already getting some great insights. 😄 Be sure to check out the Confluence collection, as well as off-topic threads like Friday Fun.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2019

Welcome to the community @Joanne Penwell 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events