Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome Wednesday: Words of Wisdom!

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

I have just completed my 40th revolution around the sun. I thought today might be a great opportunity for me to share some of my lessons learned, thoughts and experiences while having been on this journey. And, also to give the rest of you the opportunity to share your own words of wisdom.

For myself, as many of you know, I spend a significant amount of time preparing content for the Atlassian Community. I do all of this unpaid and in my personal time, however I have a lot of fun putting things together and it’s a great creative outlet for me to express myself in a different manner from my full time job!

My advice here is that if you volunteering your time towards something, make sure it's something you enjoy doing. If you aren’t being paid and you aren’t having fun, you need to question why you are bothering to do it.

I’d love you hear what pieces of advice you all have for everyone in the comments below.

Have a great rest of the week!

13 comments

Comment

Joanna Weber August 23, 2023

Some great advice quotes that I think about a lot:

"You become the average of the five people you spend most time around." - Choose to be around people who, if you become more like them, that's a good thing.

"Arguing on the internet is like arguing with a donkey: it just makes you more angry and confuses the donkey." - Every year, I walk away that bit earlier from internet threads where the other person is wilfully wrong.

"Not everything needs your opinion." - See above.

"Most people don't think about you that much at all. There's freedom in that." - I hear there's a point, around age 70, where you just stop caring one whit what other people think of you. That is, for most people, the happiest stage of their lives.

Like # people like this
Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2023

Lead by example and Don’t make assumptions – find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want are two of the advice/mottos I live by every day.

It took me some time to polish my mindset, but once I understood that everyone is struggling the way I do, I became a better person for myself and others. 

If you have a hard time understanding your thoughts, imagine the person next to you :) 

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2023

Happy birthday, @Jimmy Seddon !  And thank you for your contributions!

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2023

First of all: Wish you a very happy birthday, @Jimmy Seddon ! I am also waiting to complete my 39th revolution around the Sun on Aug 29th, 2023.

And I also strongly agree with your advice because that's what I have believed in as well throughout my life that you should only do something that you are passionate for and that makes you happy and have fun. But there are still things you might end up with doing out of your will or interest in life, which might be a demand of the time and/or circumstances. Try to find out some sort of fun and interest in doing such things as well if you can, and if such things are fruitful for you and your loved ones in the long run!

But, one thing is for sure that I have also experienced is that one does not get the desired or favorable results in following or doing what they are not doing out of their own will, interest, or passion.

With these thoughts in mind, I wish you everyone all the best in their current and future endeavors in life.

Have a great Wednesday and the rest of the week everyone!

Like # people like this
Frederike Häusel_resolution_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 24, 2023

Happy belated birthday @Jimmy Seddon . Thank you for contributing to the community and taking time out of your day to provide advise to all of us :)

Like # people like this
Oleksandr Tymofyeyev August 24, 2023

Many more people could try to do great work than do. What holds them back is a combination of modesty and fear. It seems presumptuous to try to be Newton or Shakespeare. It also seems hard; surely if you tried something like that, you'd fail. Presumably the calculation is rarely explicit. Few people consciously decide not to try to do great work. But that's what's going on subconsciously; they shy away from the question.

Do you want to do great work, or not? Now you have to decide consciously.

Like # people like this
Aditya Verma
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 24, 2023

Very great advice

Like Kelly Wills likes this
Kelly Wills
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 24, 2023

Lead by example and Don’t make assumptions (True Statement) find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want are two of the advice/mottos I live by every day, as well. Make every moment of your life count for something, life is short.

Like # people like this
Margaret Perez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 27, 2023

great quotes

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Akbar Gulaliyev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2023

Life is a journey of growth. Always be open to learning new things, whether it's a skill, a hobby, or a different perspective. Continuous learning keeps us engaged and adaptable.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2023

Happy belated birthday @Jimmy Seddon

Here are some of my favorite quotes from late: 

life-quotes-dolly.jpgLive-your-best-and-act-your-best-and-think-your-best-each-day-for-there-may-be-no-tomorrows..jpg

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Thuan Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2023

"My advice here is that if you volunteering your time towards something, make sure it's something you enjoy doing. If you aren’t being paid and you aren’t having fun, you need to question why you are bothering to do it."

👍

marcowells August 29, 2023

Happy wednesday!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events