Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome Wednesday: The Different Nap Types!

34 comments

Comment

Harish March 4, 2024

power Nap

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
Kevin Dow March 4, 2024

I had no idea the naps were classified this way! I can use an occasional power nap, but sometimes just zoning out for a few minutes does the trick for me. It depends on how long I was up staring at project plans or spreadsheets the night before.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2024

A bit late to the party naptime.

Fun fact, Orthodox Jews take the Sabbath as the day of rest literally. Not a Saturday goes by without my wife and I taking a deluxe California King in the middle of the afternoon. When the kids were younger and needed more parental supervision and didn't know how to play with friends we would take shifts and each get 2 hours of shuteye in our bed. (TBH, I'd usually also doze off on the couch during my shift 🤫.) Now that the kids are older we can sometimes hit the 4 hour mark if we don't have guests and finish our family meal early enough. 

Outside of that custom, I rarely nap except for after long Sunday bike rides (although I don't get them that often) when I need a Braniac to recharge - likely due to the fact that after a 4 hour nap on Saturday the Saturday night sleep is compromised. Due to the work hours I keep my wife got me a lazy boy chair for my office so I can get in a nap when needed. In four years of owning that chair I've used it twice.

Like # people like this
Matt Borglin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 4, 2024

My go-to is the "hopeful power nap", the perfect blend of powerful intentions for hopeful rest. Simply set a 5, 10, or 15-minute, and put a soft but audible alarm on. Turn on Do Not Disturb, and put your phone out of arms reach. Close your eyes or simply focus on something more than 5 feet away from you (that weird spot on your ceiling works well for this). Before you know it, your alarm will go off, your virgining thoughts of an effective cure for cancer will fade, and you will have achieved no nap.

Just joined this community, and look forward to reading more interesting things @Jimmy Seddon

No pressure,

Matt 

Like # people like this
Nicola May
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 5, 2024

I seem to naturally nap for about half an hour - so I guess the Hangover is the one for me.  (Only at weekends not during work in case my colleagues/boss are reading my comment :-D 

Like # people like this
bishan.vithanage March 6, 2024

As for me, after juggling morning chaos, I’d love a California King nap, but realistically, a Power Nap might be my lucky break. 😴

Mathew Utting
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 7, 2024

20 minutes really is the right amount of time to do it, but I tend to do it at 8pm which definitely isn't the right time. It'd be nice to live in Spain where it's socially acceptable to take a siesta

Like # people like this
Ruel Forbes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 15, 2024

I'm so happy to have found this.  Sleep for me is highly underrated.  Power naps are what I attempt to do most often, and one would do me right to get through today, but seeing the other types you listed, just made me appreciate the power of sleep the more.

Like # people like this
ABR April 30, 2024

Hi! @Jimmy Seddon 

This seems to be the greatest challenge in life, getting enough restful sleep! I don't feel refreshed no matter how long or how I sleep! My brain never seems to shut down, it's perpetually running even when I'm sleeping, making plans for the next day or having nightmares about not being able to catch-up!

@Amanda Barber thanks for mentioning the "low-iron thing" maybe my condition is related to it! I'll check up on it!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events