Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome Wednesday: The Different Nap Types!

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

Did you know that today is National Public Sleeping Day in the US? I didn’t either. More interestingly, did you know there are multiple different types of named nap types?

• The Power Nap is approximately 10 to 20 minutes long and can give a boost of energy to get us through the rest of the day.

• The Hangover is about 30 minutes long, 10 too many, leaving us loopy and wanting to just stay asleep.

• The Brainiac lasts about 60 minutes and includes the deepest sleep. While we may feel a little grogginess upon waking, much like the Hangover, our ability to recall facts, names and faces will be improved.

• The California King lasts about 90 minutes and is typically a full cycle of sleep. It will also include REM or a dream stage.

My question for you this week. Which type of nap do are you going to need to get through the day?

Personally, after getting the kids out the door to school/daycare, I think I need a California King. But, I’d be lucky if I have the chance to get a Power Nap.

What about you? Let me know in the comments below.

Have a great rest of the week!

34 comments

Comment

Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2024

I am always surprised by the variety of your topics @Jimmy Seddon 

My type of nap is the ... NO NAP 😀

Even as a kid, when I was supposed to sleep in the afternoon, I faked it most of the time, thinking, "It's so hard to do nothing for so long and pretend to be asleep.

The closest I can get to 'nap' is a short 5-7 minute meditation session (NSDR), which helps me battle daily anxiety and stress. 

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2024

The only time I've been able to sleep during the day is if I'm sick. Then I just sleep as long as I can. Of course, if it's a migraine, I think of it as being unconscious, rather than sleeping. 🤯

Today, I was deeply asleep when my alarm went off, so I needed the California King tacked on right there. Alas, it was not possible. 💤

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2024

I'd love a California King today after an unusually rough night of sleep last night! Instead, I think I'll treat myself to a caffeinated beverage today (I usually stick with decaf!) I'll add that there was a time I needed a Brainiac or Californa King almost every day due to low iron - haha!

Kids Are Masters of Life-Napping (20 GIFs) – HowToBeADad.com

Like # people like this
Nazar Solnichok
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2024

There is nothing better than California King! :)

Like # people like this
Joanna Weber February 28, 2024

I generally have 1-2 power naps per day - one after lunch, and one mid-evening. I'm not really asleep but resting deeply for about 15 minutes.

Like # people like this
Maciej Łyk February 28, 2024

That is nice, but I do not Power Nap, because it always turns into Hangover... 

Like # people like this
Holly Scott February 28, 2024

When I take a nap it lasts forever. It's basically like going to bed, so I hardly ever take them. No matter how long I give myself and set alarms, it's a few to several hours ordeal. I don't feel rested when I wake up from them either. They're a tease for relief!

Like # people like this
Céline Coppens February 28, 2024

Team Power Nap ⚡️

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2024

Hahah I want to be a power nap person, cause i know those are the most effective. But when i actually do nap, it tends to be a California king haha

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2024

Excellent topic, @Jimmy Seddon 

Power nap is my go to. No more than 18 min for me, otherwise I get groggy and loopy - takes pretty much the rest of the day to recover.

Like # people like this
Loren Siegel
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 28, 2024

For me, my naps happen within the Brainiac and California King range.

My nap pro tip: nap in a space that isn't your usual nighttime sleeping area. This helps me differentiate the nap from my normal going-to-bed routine.

My favorite time and place to nap: on the couch when my husband is watching sports or some other boring TV show on the weekends in the late afternoon. 

Happy Napping! 

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2024

You amaze me with these great topics and questions @Jimmy Seddon! You deserve some Kudos so I gave you some! 

I am with Teodora and my nap is No Nap! It's not because I don't want to. It's because I have never been able to sleep during the day; not at home, not at a hotel, not on a plane! It's just not possible for me. I take breaks throughout the day and do other things like take walks, do my puzzle, or watch a few minutes of the news. 

Like # people like this
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2024

Great topic to hop on - I prefer Power Nap by sitting some time in the middle of work time and should be in one position obviously

and not too many positions as shown below - that happens overnight only ;)Sleep.jpg

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
dairrameymoore
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2024

My type is the California king. I don’t sleep much at night so when a nap is possible I try to recharge as much possible.

Daria Kulikova_GitProtect_io_ February 28, 2024

Interesting topic :) There is no my option ... I usually have zero-nap during the day. Since I was a kid I have never been able to sleep during the day. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2024

I can say the Hangover is the worst! I almost always regret doing that afterwards. The problem is that I am usually going for the Power Nap, and don't set an alarm and overdo the timing. Then I have made it worse that what it was. 

But if I have a late night meeting with a client in the US, the Brainiac can do wonders and be just what I need. 

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2024

While I didn't need to sleep during the day before, these days I usually do 1 power nap (approx.. 15 mins) immediately after lunch. After I did my first power nap, it amazed me how it boosted me up 🔋

When I'm tired and I don't take power nap, I mostly struggle to finish the shift. On the other hand, after the power nap, I feel like I could work until 10 in the evening 😅

Like # people like this
Lhorie Reyes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 29, 2024

My type of nap... NAP-NAP-NAP

mekhak_bezhanian February 29, 2024

I wish I could have any of them

Like # people like this
Olegs Borisenoks
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 29, 2024

Can I, please, have all four of them?

Stephan Grubbe Sølby March 1, 2024

Haha, funny post indeed :-)

As I am currently doing some renovation in my bedroom, I'm currently sleeping (badly) in the hallway. I'm opting in for one of each :-)

Like # people like this
Geza Cseby March 1, 2024

Good afternoon, good evening and good night!

Gerardo Martín
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 1, 2024

Hi all!!!!!!!!!

Like # people like this
Kshamta Pareek March 1, 2024

No NAP in day time.. I love night sound sleep. 

Florian Lange March 4, 2024

How can you actually Power Nap for 10-20 mins? I already need 10mins to fall asleep :')
But if - then the Power Nap is the only solution for me!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events