Welcome Wednesday: Jimmy's Team '23 Survival Tips

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

As we all know, Team '23 is only a few weeks away and I wanted to use this opportunity to share a few tips for everyone planning to attend in person.

#1 Planning your schedule:

If this is your first time attending an Atlassian Team event in person, you will see that you can completely fill your entire days moving from one presentation to the next. This sounds like the best way to make the most out of your experience right? I would disagree with this. Attending sessions is good if they align with your reasons for coming. But I would encourage you to save some time to explore the Expo hall and chat with Atlassian Team members, Marketplace Vendors & Solution Partners. Remember, having a conversation with them only provides you with knowledge of what is available to help you, there is no commitment to purchase by talking with them (also, the partners & vendors have the best swag if that’s your thing).

#2 Prepare for the Desert Climate:

If you have never been to Vegas before and you aren’t already familiar with a desert climate you are going to want to make sure you have a steady supply of water on your person at all times (not to worry there will be plenty of free water provided by the conference). In addition, you make want to consider packing travel sized moisturizer and lip balm and the air will dry out everything.

#3 Pace yourself:

As much as I mentioned above to make sure you leave yourself time to explore the Expo Hall, for many, this will be the first large scale in person event in a number of years. Last year, I personally found it a tad overwhelming and there were so many things going on both during the day and in the evening, that I would encourage you to plan for some down time to recharge. You don’t want to end up like this for the start of the second day:

IMG_6501.jpeg

Do you have any survival tips yourself? Please leave them in the comments below.

Have a great rest of the week everyone!

8 comments

Comment

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2023

@Fun Man Andy Is that you in the Expo Hall?

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2023

My big tip is...Wear comfortable shoes and consider wearing a different pair each day of the conference! Even if you're staying at the Venetian, it's a bit of a hike to and from the expo hall.

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2023

Wait, did you use @Fun Man Andy as an object lesson of what NOT to do?  Brilliant!

Like # people like this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2023

I agree with Samie with comfortable shoes tip. I wore my apple watch and you'll definitely get your 10k steps in, if not more.

Also, the air tends do be very dry. For me it bother my eyes and nose a lot. I think I'll look into bringing in a humidifier for the room and lip balm like the article mentions.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2023

Thanks for the great advice @Jimmy Seddon! As a newbie to this conference in person, I appreciate this advice and all the other advice given to the community leaders. I was in Vegas this past weekend for some concerts and it was extremely dry and that's saying something for me as I live in Arizona. It was also extremely busy so my advice is to give yourself plenty of time to get where you need to go.

Like # people like this
Anastasia Bek _Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 30, 2023

Thank you for your tips! Definitely sharing those with my colleagues who attending Team '23 this year. Curious about whether we have any tips to add to the list. Happy Thursday! 

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2023

I was about to start thinking of tips and then I see @Fun Man Andy picture 😂 Thank you Jimmy, I needed this to get better prepared for my first TEAMs. Looking forward!

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Ohey, so ... @Peter Van de Voorde was hoping there would be like a Google Calendar kind of grid-like view of the sessions, and also, sorry Atlassian, but the session browser at https://events.atlassian.com/team23/sessions at  is pretty broken (and slow!) with regards to bookmarking stuff, adding to your calendar, etc.

So I did a bit of "hacking" (not really - all the sessions are in a huge JSON variable on that page), and used their own links to generate a public Google Calendar with all of the sessions. (Here's an iCal/ICS link that should work for Apple or Outlook folks.)

But the presentation there still kind of lacked, so I messed around and came up with this:
https://darryl.com/team23/

Hope it helps in your Team 23 planning!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events