Throwback Thursday: Words you couldn’t pronounce as a kid? #TBT

It's Thursday!

giphy

Piece of useless information: Thursday is trash day on my street. So double T. TT :)

Most kids have a hard time pronouncing words as they are learning to speak, naturally. But then there are sometimes a word or two or even three that they continue to have a hard time pronouncing. For me it was rabbabari (rhubarb) and brandari (a joke). I guess it took my tongue a while to get the rolling R we have in Icelandic.

giphy

For my wife, it was the word refrigerator. My son actually confused words. He used to call the soda drink Sprite a frisbee :)

giphy

So what about you, did you have a hard time pronounce some words as a kid or confuse words?

Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

18 comments

Comment

Kerri Shirey November 11, 2021

I have no idea how I mispronounced words, but my daughter called lemonade 'lebbe-labe', sunscreen 'scunscreen', and lunch 'yunch'.  And when her older brothers bothered her she would tell them to 'stop hallassing me'.  (Harassing)  To this day, we still use her mis-pronunciations.  

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2021

Roar, War...

I had a hard time pronouncing my "R"s and to this day it is far from perfect.

roar2.gif

Like # people like this
Sanchi November 11, 2021

Tortoise

Like # people like this
Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck November 11, 2021

"galdrar" (magic) and "Erla" (name). always turned into "garla" and "Eldra" :þ Some time still do!

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
November 11, 2021

My name... as you can imagine! 😂🤣😂

giphy

That will make everyone I meet, a kid? 🤔

Like # people like this
Giovanni Schiano-Moriello November 11, 2021

Rendezvous, ratio, and museum.

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2021

Interesting topic, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !

I always struggle till date to pronounce my "L"s especially when they are in the middle of words and such words are part of a sentence. For example, the word 'help' in "How can I help you?" is almost always pronounced by me as 'hep'.

So, I always try to speak such sentences at a slow speed to avoid missing those "L"s.

Also, my daughter confuses words like "subtraction" and "substraction", and I always have to correct her.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

Thank you all for sharing. Hopefully some fun memories now they are at a distance.

To your point, @Taranjeet Singh and Jack, there are some words I struggle with today. Like strategy. I have to either say it really slow or try not to think about it. Otherwise I slaughter it :)

Like # people like this
Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck November 11, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen Strategy? Rhymes with "spaghetti", no? :þ

Like # people like this
Valentina
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2021

For me it wasn't pronouncing but spelling, i had a hard time with this in school.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2021

@Valentina  as a foreigner, I struggle quite a bit with spelling English even today :) 

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
November 12, 2021

Spelling, that's another whole universe, @Valentina. And my name still is the struggle, lol. 

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2021

I had a hard time trying to pronounce the word "Karlštejn". It is a beautiful castle in Czechia but reaaaaly difficult word to pronounce :D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl%C5%A1tejn

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
November 14, 2021

OmG, it's understandable. I had to run the word's pronunciation on Google Translate, and I'm not sure if I could pronounce that @Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_ 😅

Like # people like this
Theresa Corcoran November 16, 2021

I'm late to the party, but let me set the scene.  It was rush hour.  I had picked my daughter up from daycare and had stopped at the store to pick up something for dinner.  The produce department was packed with harried looking people (mostly women), in a similar predicament.  Oh, I should mention that it was almost Halloween, and the store was appropriately decorated.  My daughter's delight in the decorations was shared with the world when she squealed at the top of her lungs. "Oh, Mommy!  Look at at the B*TCHES!!!!!  There are b*tches absolutely everywhere!"     I have never seen so many people glare in unison before.  She was of course talking about the witches, and not the people.  I hurried out of the store and ordered pizza delivery for dinner ....

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2021

@Theresa Corcoran  hahahahaha, that is way too funny! Our kids just know how to pick the perfect moments...  Thanks for sharing.

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

The word "focus". Coming from a Latin American country, I had a hard time saying it without offending people. 

Basically sounded like "f*ck us". 

Like # people like this
Hakeem Olasupo
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2021

The word "facade" 😆😆

Like Amanda Barber likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events