Throwback Thursday: What was your favorite sandwich growing up? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
When my kids got a little older, I started making somewhat bigger sandwiches for them, which we ended up calling "Super Shaggy sandwich". The kids really liked it! It got it's name from fact that I liked to put at least 2 different types of cheese on it along with multiple lunch meat slices, if we had them available. So the sandwich was a bit bigger than normal sandwich. And also, around that time we were watching old Scooby Doo episodes on some DVDs that we had purchased in America (we were living in Iceland at the time).
giphy
So, what was your favorite sandwich growing up or sometime in the past?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM
P.s. I kept on adding a T to the word sandwich when writing this post...  :)

32 comments

Comment

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

That's a fun question, when I was younger I always wondered why English language people used to call 2 slices of bread with something in between a sandwich.

Given that this is what we call a sandwich here in Flanders:

sandwich.jpg

Luckily I finally figured it out when I grew older :)

My 2 favorite sandwiches growing up was either banana and brown sugar or strawberries and white sugar. Nowadays I'm more of a strawberry jam or old cheese kinda guy.

Great question @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen I was not a huge fan of sandwiches as a kid. I used to wrap my PB and PB&J sandwiches in paper towels and throw them out so the lunch room monitor would think I finished my lunch and let me out on the playground. 

My father was in sales and used to host lunch and learns for his clients, and there were always great leftovers. When he would come home with hero sandwiches (on the 3 or 6 foot board!) we would devour them. I never really called these a sandwich, but as an adult I realize they qualify for that category. Good memories!Overstuffed Hero On Plank (Select-a-Size) - Breadberry.com: Online Kosher  Grocery Shopping and Delivery Service

Like # people like this
Colleen Gotling April 27, 2023

I was so boring!  My favorite was just ham and cheese on bread.  No mustard or mayonnaise.  But, if I was lucky enough to have pretzels, I would put them on the sandwich to add a little crunch.  Now at least I put mustard and mayo and need to have really good bread or a hoagie role.  Yummy!

Like # people like this
Frankie C_ April 27, 2023

Man this one hits me in the feels...  Fried bologna, anyone?? 🥪

@Colleen Gotling -- The pretzels-for-crunch takes me back too (for me, it was Doritos or Cheetos!)... Sandwich god-mode unlocked!

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen I really thought this was an actual #TBT, but it turned out it resembles this Friday Fun post: Friday Fun: How do make your favorite sandwich? 

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

Oh man, @Dave Mathijs I totally missed that Friday Fun post. So sorry...

giphy

Like # people like this
Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 27, 2023

Homemade butter with plain slices of bread was my favorite Sandwich and still is. Also, Hiii!! 

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2023

Rooby Rooby Roo!

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2023

1 slice of balogna (Everybody now!.... "My bologna has a first name....") from the yellow package and a slice of cheese was a treat, otherwise it was the common PB&J.

Like # people like this
Carlotta Kuhn April 27, 2023

I loved BLTs and would eat them every chance I had. I especially loved Wendy's BLTs (which is technically a burger but based on the sandwich). It's such a basic and common sandwich in the US but I enjoyed them so much. Now I can't even remember the last time I had one 😄

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

I have to go with good old-fashioned PB & J. Years ago, when I was doing long distance bike rides, a PB&J and banana felt as good as a steak dinner after a 60 mile bike ride or a century (100 miles) ride.

Like # people like this
Richard Sieger April 27, 2023

Bagel lox and cream cheese

Like # people like this
Bob Scott April 27, 2023

Cherrywood smoked boneless ribs, coleslaw, pickled onion and house spicy sauce

image.jpg

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen Interesting topic that made me feel hungry for a sandwich.

I grew up in India eating the below sandwiches/burgers, all of which were my favorites:

- 2 plain slices of bread with homemade spreadable butter and granulated sugar

- 2 plain slices of bread with mixes fruit jam

- McDonald's McAloo Tiki Burger (which was only available in India until recently when it was introduced in Chicago, US)

Have a great Thursday and rest of the week everyone!

aloo-tikki-burger-recipe-mcaloo-tikki-recipe-burger-tikki-recipe-1.jpeg

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2023

Peanut butter and Jelly.  Today - Rueben.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

BLT today and always! I also love a good club sandwich cut in triangles with the long toothpicks stuck in each triangle. Love me some bacon! 

Like # people like this
Giovanni Schiano-Moriello April 27, 2023

Growing up, chicken sandwich every day in school but my favorite was probably grilled cheese sandwich.

Nowadays its either the Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwich or toasted bread with crunchy peanut butter and bananas. Panera Bread also has (had) this really yummy chipotle panini.

Like # people like this
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2023

This will sound very odd, particular if you aren't Australian but I loved Peanut Butter and Vegemite sandwiches growing up. One condiment on each slice and then smoosh em together. Salty but crunchy but moorish

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

Thank you all for sharing - been fun to read :) And now I've also made myself hungry...

giphy

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

I'm with you and your kids @Kristján Geir Mathiesen except I called it a Dagwood for the husband character named Dagwood in the Blondie comic strips in the newspaper.

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 4.21.26 PM.png

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2023

Damn! This has thrown me years back in the past...

I would definitely say that best sandwiches I've tried growing up were the one that our dad used to make us. He would really put up the effort in that sandwich (and that would probably be because he also likes to eat 😅), taking like 45-60 minutes just to make almost perfect set of sandwiches - two sides of bread with a little ham, cheese, some eggs, mayonnaise, pickles and of course, homemade sausage or/and beacon 😋

I remember that the 'best ones' would be those when we were traveling to the seaside. It was usually a long trip and all of us would eat those sandwiches all day long lol

Needless to say that that's probably where I got the love for those, and almost no day goes by without myself treating at least a slightly 'thinner' version of those 😃

Like # people like this
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2023

I had two great sandwiches that I had growing up that I can remember

1. White bread with bologna and cheese. I don't really eat no more growing up. Now, it's more pastrami and cheese. 

2. Banh Mi(Vietnamese sandwich) -  6-8 inch French baguette with grill pork, pickle vegetables, with some special homemade sauce. 

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2023

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Probably my favorite while growing up was crunchy peanut butter and honey.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2023

It is always good to throw back into your memory bank!

when I was a kid, I really enjoyed PB&J and to be honest, I still like one every now and then. 😉

IMG_1765.jpeg

Growing up in the south, I also enjoyed a good fried bologna sandwich on white bread with yellow mustard. And I have to say it's pretty damn tasty! And here is a throwback for you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-BZjDY2EA 

now I lean towards BLT, Italian hoagies or club. When I'm at the coast I like a soft shell crab or fish sandwich.

IMG_1763.jpeg

Like # people like this
Ditte Simard
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2023

My favorite sandwich as a child (and as an adult) is nutella on toast!!!  Nutella_for_breakfast_-_Flickr_-_love.jsc.jpg

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events