Throwback Thursday: What was your favorite item of clothing as a kid? #TBT

It's Thursday!

giphy

I don't know about you but I am a creature of habit. It takes me a while to get used to new things, like clothes, and I seem not to use them very often first after I get them. Then I finally take to them and start using. At that moment, I seem to switch over to use-it-all-the-time mode :) 

I still remember this sweater, vest and how much I loved using it. Used it until the ends of the sleeves started coming apart. Reluctantly, I watched my mom throw it away... The picture is from 1976.

1976 Guernsey og Jersey2.jpg

So what about you - what was your favorite item of clothing as a kid/youth?

Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

11 comments

Comment

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck February 3, 2022

I don't remember anything in particular from when I was a kid (probably anything that wasn't "girl clothes" was fine) though there is a picture of me somewhere with a sweater that I hated. My mom thought it was so funny that she took a picture. And that was in the early eighties so film camera. Must have been hilarious. 

When I was in high school there was this pair of jeans I wore until they were practically more patches and mending than original jeans. They were very comfortable and all that but I think the whole patching and stitching them up again bit was probably just as much "maintaining the brand" as actual thrift or comfort. 🤣

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2022

This might sound weird, but it was probably my football cleats. I enjoyed playing and putting on the cleats meant time to play.  :-)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2022

Age 8 was when I got my first "hand me down" pull-over hooded sweatshirt.  I have never stopped wearing them since.  I don't know that I have an absolute favorite one, but it's like a security blanket to me.  I don't feel right wearing a shirt or sweater if there isn't a hood attached.  Not really sure why.

Great topic @Kristján Geir Mathiesen!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2022

In 9th grade I bought a t-shirt in one of those mega-mall stores that had t-shirts lining the walls floor to ceiling. It was actually a Rugby t-shirt, and being an American kid with no knowledge of Rugby, but being a bibliophile and literature buff, I was drawn to the quote on the shirt.

"For he who sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother" - Shakespeare, Henry V, Act 4

I spent $14 on that shirt - something I knew my mother would kill me if she knew. It was the perfect thickness and the graphics and quote just drew me. I wore that shirt fresh from the wash every time it came out. It was under my jersey at hockey games, it was on during the weekends (when there was no collared shirt rule like on school days), and it stood the test of time from 14 to 19 years old, when sadly it finally began to unravel. I may still have it somewhere in my closet in my parent's home. I know I could never throw it out myself. 

I don't have a picture handy like @Kristján Geir Mathiesen I'll try to find one and post tonight when I get home.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2022

I didn't have any particular favourite as a kid, that I can remember.  But as a "yoof", I bought a pair of 1460 DMs and a leather jacket shortly after I was 18.  The jacket lasted many years, until the lining wore out, and I still have it as evidence that I could actually paint.

I'm on my 9th or 10th pair of DMs now, haven't really worn other shoes for anything other than funerals and job interviews.  (It helps that most of them were free or cheap - my circle of friends include several employees of the company who can get "seconds" - the ones rejected by QC because the label was sewn on wrong, or there's a stitch out of place)

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2022

Can't remember anything specific as a kid but when I was in middle school I had these jeans that were stylized so that each 5 inches or so were inverted (the inside of the jeans were actually outside) with lots of jean fray in between the sections.  It was very "grunge" and on top of that I made holes in the knees. 

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2022

FUN! Thanks all for sharing.

Sorry about your situation @Alejandro Oro , do hope it improves.

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2022

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen That's a great topic taking everyone back to the childhood memories for some time!

Since the age of 10, I am fond of wearing hooded jackets or sweatshirts, especially the ones that block out the cold wind to a great extent to keep me warm. Plus, I do not need to put too many layers of clothes under them.

I still wear them and always look out for them when I am shopping for some outdoor clothes.

Stay safe and stay warm in this winter!

Like # people like this
Giovanni Schiano-Moriello February 3, 2022

As a kid, probably my Heelys or light up Pokemon shoes :)

As a teen, I had this one teal/black/white checker shirt I absolutely loved and made it stretch for probably almost 10 years and now it doesn't fit anymore, is faded, and full of stains. Good times with that one!

Like # people like this
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2022

the jersey of my favourite football team. That was my lounge suit dress code :)

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2022

I'll have to have a dig around the old photo albums to find these shorts I had around age 10... so hard to describe. Seeing is believing!

In later years though I will NEVER forget the first time I got proper skateboarding shoes. They were light brown Vans and I loved them.

They were perfect except for... 2 sizes too big, but it was pre-ecommerce so who knew when I'd find them again. I would not take no for an answer. LOL! I wore them so often despite it though. Hilarious.. shoes were always falling off me, I was always falling off the stick!

skateboard-fail-flop.gif

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events