Throwback Thursday: What was the first cool Atlassian “trick” you learned? #TBT

It's Thursday!

giphy

Alright, let's talk about cool tricks/tools/gizmos/stuffs in the Atlassian products :) I want to mention two of my fave. 

1) Contexts for Custom Fields. I especially like this feature since I mainly work on Jira Server / Data Center and then I can create a general field (like "Type") of type "Select list" and then change the values according to the context. This save me (and the Server) a bunch of Custom Fields.

2) Export -> Dashboard Charts -> Pie Chart (I use Pie the most). (In the Cloud it is Export -> Create Dashboard Charts) I use this a lot when I am dissecting group of tickets (like if I am changing Workflow Scheme or Issue Type Scheme and need to see how many Incidents I have in a project, etc). This "on demand" chart is really awesome. And then one can choose the Statistic Type the chart is broken down on. Very versatile and highly useful! Side note: personally, I never Save to Dashboard. I just use it as ad hoc while I am getting the stats/info I need.

gadget.jpg

What about you - what is your favorite Atlassian trick/tool/gizmo/thingy?

Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

8 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2021

Nice one @Kristján Geir Mathiesen!

For me the first cool trick was typing "." in Jira to bring up the quick search menu to find pages or actions you are looking for.  To this day, I have no idea where "Shared filters" & "Shared dashboards" are actually located, other than finding them in that menu.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2021

I know this is very basic, but it was a great day when I figured out that you could have separate Create, Edit, and View screens then then take fields out of the Edit screen so they couldn't be updated.  :-)

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2021

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon   Yes, "." (or gg) is the BEST quickway/shortcut to almost everything.

@John Funk  that seems basic but let me tell you, I've sometimes totally forgotten this can be a great way to make fields "read-only".

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen The custom field contexts and the ability of an admin to find config items quickly using a "."  were two of the first few tricks I learned for Atlassian products.

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2021

For me is the shortcut "e" to edit confluence pages.  We  have pages are very long and to avoid timeouts we have to publish them often.  With "e", you don't have to scroll all the way up to edit the page and then find the spot where you want to update. It's a time saver.  

Like # people like this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2023

I believe for me when I first started Jira it was in advance search. Knowing that you can toggle between basic search and JQL to help learn JQL. It was a life saver when first learning.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2023

I agree, @Aaron Geister , that was a real eye opener. And then when my mentor told me how I could see the JQL behind filter (from a dashboard). I really studied how others had created filters and learned from them. Thanks for sharing!

Like Michelle Yip likes this
Michelle Yip May 16, 2023

Getting the hang of auto-creation of tasks, sub-tasks - this is a real time-saver. With a few standard JQL and smart-values added as placeholder in the rules, you can outsource the formatting to be done automatically.

JIRA automation.PNG

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events