Throwback Thursday: What is the independence day of your homeland? #TBT

It's Thursday!

giphy

However, this Thursday we will be doing something a bit different because today, June 17th, is Iceland's independence day. Happy independence day to all my fellow countrymen! 

Question of the day: What is the independence day of your homeland?

Iceland3.jpg

Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

8 comments

Comment

Thorhalla Gudmundsdottir Beck June 17, 2021

Thank you :D 
And it is not raining! Undur og stórmerki! XD

Like # people like this
alkarim.jivraj June 17, 2021

I am from Tanzania, East Africa. Tanzania's independence day is July 7th.

Like # people like this
Veronique DUFOUR June 17, 2021

When did Canada Gain Independence ? | Canadian visa application

Canada July 1rst

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

US Flag.jpg

USA is July 4th

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

India Independence Day is 15th August

1200px-Flag_of_India.svg.png

Like # people like this
Vinicius softecsul June 18, 2021

Brazil is September 7th!

Mensagens para comemorar o Dia da Independência do Brasil

Like # people like this
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2021

Of course it is 11th November... 

download (3).jpg

But funny story - it is REPRESENTING the process of gaining independence: 

• 5 November 1916 – Act of 5th November was released in order to create the Regency Kingdom of Poland
  • 14 January 1917 – Provisional Council of State had started its activity
  • 12 November 1917 – Regency Council took over the head of state duties
  • 7 October 1918 – Regency Council announced Poland's independence
  • 23 October 1918 – government with the prime minister Józef Świeżyński was established, without approval by the German authorities
  • 1 November – branches of the Polish Military Organization began disarming German and Austrian soldiers
  • 6/7 November 1918 – in Lublin, Ignacy Daszyński established a Provisional Government of the People's Republic of Poland
  • 10 November 1918 – Józef Piłsudski came to Warsaw, previously released from prison in Magdeburg.
  • 11 November 1918 – Piłsudski was appointed Commander in Chief by the Regency Council and was entrusted with creating a national government for the restored Polish State.
  • 16 November – Józef Piłsudski signed a telegram notifying the creation of an independent Polish State. The telegram was sent by radio to the leaders of the superpowers and to all of the warring or neutral governments three days later with the use of equipment from the Warsaw Citadel, just after exiting the German troops.
  • 17 November – after the resignations of Ignacy Daszyński, Józef Piłsudski appointed Jędrzej Moraczewski as the prime minister.

As you can see 11th Nov wasn't any significant date.

But there is another side of the story - 3 years ago we should have been celebrating 100th anniversary - as a nation, as a people. We have bearly did it. Divided, polarized, arguing and disputing what "True Polish" means we were celebrating... political disorder in Poland. If we were to gain independence with today's leaders - it would have never happen. And almost half of Polish citizens (including me and my family) would have been in doubt of being "true Polish".
Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2021

I'm the same with @Veronique DUFOUR!

July 1st, which also happens to be my Mom's birthday!  So it's always a large celebration!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events