Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What is the coolest/most famous place you have been to? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
Here is one for you travel buffs out there. I think the coolest place I have been to is Malta, a small island in the Mediterranean sea. It has such an amazing history and culture. It has three World Heritage Sites - one of them a 5.000 year old temple. It is the 10th smallest country in the world yet 4th most densely pouplated. And it has incredibly clear, turquoise ocean. I mean, just look at these pictures I took back in 2014 with my phone... It is like the boats are floating in the air.
malta1.jpgMalta2.jpgMalta3.jpgMalta4.jpg
So, what is the coolest/most famous place you have been to? 
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

12 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

I have been blessed to see many famous sites - The Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Coliseum in Rome, the Great Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, and the Kingdom Tower in Riyadh to name the most well known. I love to travel and experience new cultures. 

Pyramids.jpg

Like # people like this
Sue Wilson May 26, 2022

Oh, this is a tough one for me.  I have never travelled outside the USA, BUT approximately 10 years ago, we did a Family Road Trip from coast to coast!  We left Pennsylvania and meandered our way across the country, ending in a tiny town in California, where we were able to walk to the beach and wade in the Pacific Ocean.  So many sites we were able to visit....Longaberger Basket building, Dodge City, the Grand Titans, Grand Canyon, Arches National Park, among others, 4 Corners, the American Pickers store, the Silver & Gold Pawn Shop, we even stood on a corner in Winslow, AZ.  It was such a fine site to see! The hubby ended up getting a ticket for rolling through the stop sign even though we were parked on the corner for a good 10 minutes!  LOL.  I think, though, with all the sites we saw, my favorite was Jackson Hole, Wyoming!  There was just something about this small retro town and its Elk Antler Arch that appealed to me.  I would love to do another road trip....see some of the same sites....add some new...

Jackson Hole | Rexburg Idaho

Like # people like this
Arthur Stepanyan May 26, 2022

I could mention quite a few amazing places, but for me personally, the coolest was the giant wine barrel in the Schloss Heidelberg.

barr.jpeg

Like # people like this
AJ Barks - Old Street
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2022

As an Old Street employee, the coolest was our own booth at Team22 this year.

Sure, I'm biased; sure, this was not the point of TBT this time round... BUT! As a fully virtual company, it was the first time over 80% of us came together in one location, so very very special, and damn cool.

Also, our CEO shed a tear. 

More over, it came up several times in various Atlassian marketing videos, so counts as famous as well. 

OldStreet_OneTeamExp.png

Like # people like this
Arthur Stepanyan May 26, 2022

@AJ Barks - Old Street - yeah, I see your point - but I'd rather take Malta :-)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

In 2014 my previous company was acquired through a strategic transaction by a company based out of Santa Barbara, CA. I spent 19 months travelling one week a month to Santa Barbara, Amsterdam or Singapore where they had offices, and I had new direct reports. I made a point of doing something special with one of my reports or teammates each trip. Kayaking in the Pacific Ocean along side California Seals and Sea Lions and jogging through a eucalyptus forest along the cliffs of the Santa Barbara coast were two of the coolest places I have ever been able to immerse myself in and experience.

Like # people like this
AJ Barks - Old Street
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2022

@Arthur Stepanyan hahaha! Don't blame you. It's been in my bucket list for almost 20yr.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

I don't know what to call out as "cool".  I'm interested in architecture, so places like Manchester Town Hall, St Pancras's (now) Renaissance Hotel, Tower 42 when it was the tallest building in London,  New York's Guggenheim, top of the World Trade Center, and, and, and.  I even went to school in a classic Alfred Waterhouse building. and I live in the graveyard of an 18th century chapel.

There are other more quirky than building-related places - popped up an active volcano, stayed in a couple of castles that Dr Who was filmed in, fried an egg on a the bonnet of a car in Death Valley, and walked through a town on rim of a dead volcano in the Med (Oia), 

But maybe it should be more about the people when it's about buildings.  A certain Ferris wheel in Vienna for example...

Like # people like this
Mariano Edvardsson May 27, 2022

I am torn between Rvk101 and Podgorica Montenegro.

although the most Beautiful place prize goes to my then vacation place and now my home place; Bariloche Patagonia Argentina. A92B4A17-FB13-4E6A-9F04-71AFBFAEC76E.jpeg

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2022

Going to flex on you all real hard right now, because I am coming in LIVE from Mafra (PT 🇵🇹), and the famous palace where they have not 1... not 2... not 3... not 4... not 5... but SIX organs.

Say what!??? 🤯

I'm not sure how famous this is, so, full story here if you're interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_organ_of_Mafra_Palace

"Your location might be cool, but it ain't 6-massive-organs cool" #micdrop 🎤💥😎

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 8.36.44 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 8.19.51 PM.jpeg

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2022

Ok, there are two "cool" locations I have been to:

1) My wife and I did the Disney Cruise for our honeymoon, and we stopped at Nassau.  Our guide took us to the bar on the beach where James Bond was standing looking out into the ocean in Dr. No.

2) When we were traveling in Italy with some friends, one of the locations we went to was Venice (because why not).  One location in Venice I wanted to find (and this was not as easy to find as I thought it might be), and succeeded in finding, was the location used as the outside appearance of the library Indiana Jones walked into when searching for where his father went missing in the Last Crusade movie.  As it turns out, the inside is not a library.

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2023

I'm lucky enough to visit so many beautiful places. One particularly struck me and it was the balcony on the Hancock Tower in Chicago

Willis Tower (Sears Tower) Tours e Biglietti - 2023 - Viator

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events