Throwback Thursday: What is the coldest water you've swam in? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
Okay, today we are going to talk about swimming in cold water. This picture was taken 9 years ago in Iceland. The woman in the picture is someone's grandma from Holland, visiting Iceland. That day, the ocean was 0,7°C (about 33°F). Obviously, I didn't swim very far or for a long time but did get some swimming done. On the left side, you can see a flag and it is standing straight out because of the wind. It was pretty darn cold!
coldest.png
So, what is the coldest water you've swam in?
(Not sure if my grammer is correct here)
giphy
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

19 comments

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2023

It is lonely in this thread so let's break the ice...see what I did there?

I have done the polar challenge once in my life and that was enough and it was nowhere near the Icelandic cold! Geez that is nuts! 🥶 if memory serves the water was in the low 50s (10-12C). At least the after party warmed me up.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2023

Nice@Kristján Geir Mathiesen!  Mine was about the same temperature as yours.  I was 13 and at a camp a little bit north of where I live, outside Tobermory, Ontario, Canada.  It was May, but there was plenty of Ice in the water.

If you wanted to participate in any of the water sports, you needed to pass a "swim test" you had to swim about 30 feet out from the shore line and then about 30 feet over to their dock.

Previously, a friend and I always closed out his pool with a "cold water" swim when it was about 60F in September, but the swim test was a completely different experience.

I never ended up doing any of the water activities after that.

Like # people like this
John_Halsey April 13, 2023

In the winter of 1970, I got a job in Kodiak Alaska doing Hull inspections on commercial fishing vessels prior to them going to sea for 5 to eight weeks, at a time. We did not have heated wet suits like today and worked in four-man teams diving in 15-minute shifts for up to 10 hours. or until inspection was completed.

Water temperature was 28 to 30 degrees on a good day.

Hull inspections were done with the vessel in the water because it was less expensive than putting the vessel in dry dock and could be completed faster.

After one season I quickly decided this was not a job for me.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

I'm not sure "dragging your sorry ass out of a river" counts as "swimming", as I only had to swim a few yards to find a bit that wasn't too slippery to start wading on.

I have fallen (or been pushed or thrown) into the Kennet River that runs through the centre of Reading more than once, and one of those falls was during a howlingly cold winter.  The surface of the river was frozen in paper-thin patches, so I went through the ice into water that couldn't have been much above 0C

I was not in the river for long - swam a couple of yards, waded another couple to get out, so the cold didn't get far in.  Ran home to a warm shower and dry clothes in 10 minutes.

p.s. Your grammar is fine.

Like # people like this
John_Halsey April 13, 2023

It is one thing to have a specific plan to enter cold water but to just be pushed or thrown into cold water with no warning sucks. You have my sympathy i imagine the walk home was no fun as well.

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2023

Does the pool when the heater's broken count?

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

Oh man @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  that must have been a cold walk home (very good point there @John_Halsey ) At least I had the hot tub to go into after my short swim.

Thanks all for sharing - fun to read these. And hopefully fun for you to look back (no that the ordeal is over) on these memories.

Like # people like this
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

Just seeing the pictures. kudos @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ! I could feel the chills coming and the initial shock. I'm good with warm tropical waters. lol. The coldest I've been is just an ice bath. :)

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

And yes, you made me chuckle with your pun @Jack Brickey  :) Good one!

giphy

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

Wow, kudos to all of you! I prefer warm water myself. I've considered ice baths when marathon training, but couldn't even bring myself to do that. So fun to read everyone's experiences!

Like # people like this
Katarzyna Szumilas_Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 13, 2023

Winter swimming (called "morsowanie" - doing what a sea lion does) is actually a thing here in Poland! I tried it first time 3 years ago and keep practicing it since then during the winter season.
Well... it does not involve too much swimming, to be honest, but it's rather standing in dead cold (around +3C or less) water for 7-10 minutes. When combined with sauna, you can repeat it even a few times in a row. 
Sounds a little odd but it's said that this kind of activity burns plenty of calories and boosts your immune system. Believe it or not but it's also... real fun!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

I have done a couple of polar bear swims that were not that cold.  Most summers when I am backpacking the high mountain lakes will still have snow around them and I usually swim on those lakes.  It is cold but not anything to brag about. 

Like # people like this
Joris April 14, 2023

New years dive, the water must have been about 3-5 degrees celcius.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2023

Winter solstice dive into the backyard pool, which is said to give you good luck till the next solstice. The water was in the 30's. That's about as cold of water I ever want to be in. 

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2023

I grew up on Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. That water is ALWAYS cold. And, especially so in the winter. Winters are cold and the windchill makes them colder in Wisconsin. So ice fishing and ice skating you needed to keep yourself out of the water. Occasionally, your feet get wet and it is VERY COLD.

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2023

Not that I can say anything about cold water, being a Greek and stuff, but the colder water I've personally have swim in, is on Naxos island...on August....full summer... (yeah yeah... I know...) :D 

Like Craig Nodwell likes this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

Michigan Lake at Chicago. Even if it was may, it was so cold for me

Lakefront & Beaches | City of Evanston

Like Craig Nodwell likes this
Maria Burrows
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2023

Swimming in cold water as many have described here sounds shshshshshocking but invigorating...I think!   Hats off to you... 

Coldest swim I can remember is at the beach on a 40 degree day and you just have to go in the water...That first dive in,  you just have to brace yourself and do it. Shock to the system it is.  Not much compared to some, but plenty enough for me!!

Like # people like this
Michelle Yip May 9, 2023

Let's see.... Blue Pools in Wanaka, New Zealand has got to be the coldest, especially when you plunge right in!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events