Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What is one "normal" thing you haven't done? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
I remember, back in late 1980's, meeting a guy who was about 21 years old who had never peeled an orange in his life. To me that was so crazy somehow! I felt like peeling an orange would be such an everyday, normal thing yet he had lived 21 years and never done it. As I get older, I realize that what we feel is normal isn't necessarily normal for others. And it doesn´t really matter per se. Anywho, this post is about one "normal" thing that you haven't done but lots of others around you have :)
zmjfox.jpeg
Soooo, what is one "normal" thing you haven't done? 
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

25 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 29, 2024

Oh boy. Confession time. I hope @Ed Gaile can still respect me after this post.

I have never. ever. in my life.

Barbequed

I know. I know. How is it possible that I am 45 and have never BBQ'd? I am lucky enough to have gotten married young and my wife is an AMAZING chef - so we have a deal - she makes the mess, I clean it up. She does the cooking, I do the cleaning. 

So I have cleaned the grill, but I've never cooked on it.

Like # people like this
Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 29, 2024

This won't surprise the people who know me well, but I've never visited an amusement park. I am completely uninterested in things like carousels, roller coasters, aquaparks, and anything related to this kind of entertainment. 

And I wouldn't say I like spending time in lines, so the whole dislike felt really natural.

Like # people like this
Andreas Springer _Actonic_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 29, 2024

Taking a shower.

Like # people like this
Maciej Łyk February 29, 2024

I have never been to so many places in my town because "I can always do it"... And when talking to visitors I feel bad that they have been to theatres and museums... which I do not know... - I hope - yet :)

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 29, 2024

This is probably a sin for someone working in tech, but I've never seen Star Wars.😅

I know a lot of the references, I know who a lot of the characters are, the general plot, the memes, etc... I just didn't get introduced to them as a kid and now only watch a couple movies a year, so just not something I've made it to yet!

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2024

Hmm... Never have I ever....Changed my own oil on my car.  Even when I had the giant 1973 Ford LTD and it would have been real easy to get underneath, I've never changed my own oil.  Now you'd need to have ramps and stuff to get underneath the car, but I know plenty of people that still change it today.

Like # people like this
Daria Kulikova_GitProtect_io_ February 29, 2024

I have never had a dog... Not a big sin...

Hovewer, I have always though that it could be a nice idea. Though, the more I start considering that I will need to wake up earlier just to walk my possible dog, I always reject that idea... That's actually the reason why I have a cat :) 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 29, 2024

Ridden a bicycle.

My family tried many times to teach me how to do it when I was a kid, but we didn't find out that I had ear problem that wrecked my balance.  I used to balance mostly by vision, rather than the inner ear.  The diagnoses came from "Nic falls over if you ask him to stand still with his eyes shut"

It has improved, after some treatment, and I could probably learn to ride a bike now, but I've never got around to it. 

Almost everything I do is within a mile of my house (albeit work is "a mile to the station, 70 miles napping on a train") so I don't have any incentive to learn to cycle.  The town I live in now also has an electric scooter scheme, which I don't seem to have any balance problems with.  I could do it to get more exercise, but I'm looking to fix that by rescuing a dog and having to walk her a couple of times a day...

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 29, 2024

Ohh, good one @Kristján Geir Mathiesen!

I have never been pregnant. When I was little I had dolls and cabbage patch kids galore and so wanted to be a mommy, but as I got older I lost interest and just never did it. When my husband was alive and we were young, we decided not to have children and now that I'm older I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I'm glad I didn't because my husband passed away, but in other ways I think who will take care of me when I'm older. 

Like # people like this
Suzie Ahlers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 29, 2024

I've never ridden on a motorcycle, even though I know multiple people with motorcycles including family members.

Like # people like this
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2024

I want to be a Photographer for a day and not done till date !!

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 29, 2024

I am proud to say that I have never used Facebook, Twitter, X, Threads, or Tik Tok. I have used Instagram to see family photos and LinkedIn for work stuff, but that's all. 

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 29, 2024

I've never gotten a tattoo!  I've never visited Alcatraz (though I don't know how "normal" that is for folks who live in the SF Bay Area)!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 29, 2024

@Laurie Sciutti - is the Alcatraz thing a "it's local, so I can go any time (and then never do)" thing? 

Like most of my school friends never went to the Reading festival despite it being a 15 minute walk for most and we knew the people on the doors who would let us in for free?

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 29, 2024

Yup @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- that’s exactly it. Lived here my whole life and never been. On the bucket list - gonna make it a point to go this summer!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 29, 2024

I have never driven a motorcycle. Also wanted to learn, but never did. I have ridden on several in various parts of the world, but should learn to drive it myself. 

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2024

@Andy Gladstone it sounds like I need to come up for an intervention OR team up with you and your wife for an epic Kosher cook-out!!!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2024

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen I love this topic... though I'm struggling with it.  As someone who does a ton of weird things, I'm trying to figure out what would be a "normal thing" :D

I guess the only thing I can think of, is I have never attended a school dance or prom.  That was never something that interested me in my teen years.

I always ended up picking up some overtime shifts working at the local grocery store (since everyone else was going to prom).

Like # people like this
Michael Nwaubani
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 2, 2024

Honestly i don't think that there is one "normal thing that I haven't done"!😊

Like # people like this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2024

I never ever drank beer or alcohol. I just can't stand the smell of it.

Like # people like this
Johanna Pichotka_APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 5, 2024

Very simple but I've never used facebook. Never made an account, never had it on my phone.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2024

Me either @Johanna Pichotka_APTIS_  - good for you!!

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2024

I probably don't consider the things I haven't done normal :)

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2024

@Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy - that's super relatable, haha. Oddly enough, when the "new" Star Wars came out like 20+ years ago, I went to a marathon at a local movie theater with a friend. Sooo, I guess I've seen them, but I can't recall any of the plot. I know enough references to make it through conversations. My team is very understanding of my lack of nerdy knowledge thankfully! 😅

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2024

I have never used monday.com

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events