Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What did you want to be when you grew up? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
When I was little - well, smaller - I was fascinated with investigators, their gadgets, and technology, I guess. Probably because I was watching James Bond movies and reading spy books (The Hardy boys, The Three Investigators, Nancy Drew, ...). So I wanted to be an inventor. I guess, I wanted to be Q.

giphy
So, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

10 comments

Comment

Nicole Christensen September 8, 2022

That is a great idea for a dream job! I love music and loved playing music, so I wanted to be a band teacher. I learned how to play every band instrument, but, in the end, I couldn't play the important things like piano or guitar, so there went that idea. I also did not know that music performance was a blood sport. 

When I went to college for music, it was brutal! But, I am so much happier as a Product Owner, than I think I ever would have been as a band teacher.

Like # people like this
Arthur Stepanyan September 8, 2022

The first job I remember dreaming about, at the age of 5, was Fireman! There was a firehouse next block from our house, with a shiny red fire truck, and back then the firemen wore shiny brass helmets.

So it was less about the heroics and more about the visuals.

Soon after, when I took my first air trip, I decided that I must become a pilot - what?

An no, I never dreamed about being a Jira-using project manager.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2022

Am I grown up? Can I still achieve my dream?

As far back as I can remember I wanted to be an investigative journalist. I loved reading, researching and writing. The appeal of banging out the keys on the typewriter (later the word processor) to produce an article was something that I was enraptured by - and I still am today. Life and priorities had me take a different path, but I have never lost the love for writing. I punish my teammates (and often the Atlassian Community) with my prose (and poetry) as my way of scratching that itch.

I hope to one day write a collection of short stories, or maybe even the next great American novel.

Like # people like this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2022

It all depends on what age I was, but soccer player, football player, DJ, and a wrestler. I somehow ended up doing IT work and I am ok with that :-)

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2022

Thanks for sharing, ya'll!  And no, @Andy Gladstone there is still a chance for us :)

@edwin vasquez you are totally right! It DOES depend on what age... I went through some other ones as well.

Like # people like this
Aleksandar Stamenov September 12, 2022

When I was small boy I was admiring the Indiana Jones movies and wanted to become an archeologist like him - find rare artefacts and change our knowledge of history what really happen to people and places :-)

Like # people like this
Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2022

I wanted to became an Artist... ended up in IT :)

Like # people like this
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2022

What did you want to be when you grew up?

bigger ;)

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2022

That is a hard question. There is so much that I wanted to be when I grew up; Biologist, Archeologist (Indiana Jones!), Cowboy, Apache pilot, Cyclist, Photographer and Developer.

I ended up in IT, first as a support engineer, on to system administrator and now back at the service desk as a team lead and Atlassian Administrator (still learning both roles). 

In the end, it doesn't really matter what you become. Just make sure that you have fun. There is enough time to try everything you want. Even now that I am 40-years of age, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. So I better just go with it and enjoy myself :)

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2022

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen good question which gets remembering of my childhood dreams. 

First I wanted to become solider, army man at the age of 10, then wanted to become Doctor by seeing my cousin at the age of 15... then I wanted to be an IT professional when I was in graguating. that want came true, but in 2016 I thought my decision is wrong, and I wanted to become a Business man, but still I am working as IT professional. 

Vikram P

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events